Are My Windows Installed Wrong? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


I just moved into a home with most of its windows replaced, however they left the finishing to me -- the new owner. So there are no exterior or interior trims.
..the new Andersen windows replaced bigger windows, so whoever installed these had to build up the surround (with 2x4's, drywall, insulation, exterior siding, etc) so that the new (smaller) windows would fit.
The problem is it appears that they installed the windows AFTER they built up the exterior. So the exterior siding of the house (boarding) is underneath the metal casing of the window, ie. you can see the nail heads.
My question is, isn't this a wrong way to install windows? Do I have to redo all these installs (over 10)? Or is this an ok lazy technique of installation -- and I should just finish the trim?
Also on the inside the jamb extensions are like ~1 inch too short as a result of the window depth being pushed out by the depth of the siding.
Thanks in advance!



Link to photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bogamils...eat=directlink

Advertisement

bogamilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 8,376
Rewards Points: 3,546
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Thise windows are ready for sding to be installed up to them. The flange with the nails is definitely supposed to be UNDER the siding.

Advertisement

__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Netcong NJ
Posts: 1,097
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Find that builder and installer, drag em out to the house, shove a stick of Dynamite as far as you can, put a 3' fuse on it and light it. They have until that fuse burns down to get it fixed.
Oh Yeah they pay for the new siding also. I am serious, I would most likely have a lawyer on standby

Last edited by skymaster; 04-30-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: nudder comment
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Whatamess
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 423
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Need to install "J" channel around the window before siding.
__________________
I may go home hungry, but not tired and hungry.
TazinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Thise windows are ready for sding to be installed up to them. The flange with the nails is definitely supposed to be UNDER the siding.

I know its hard to tell because of the dark color/photo, but the siding is underneath the tar paper. Best to see in the 3rd pic.

Stupid huh? So it looks like I have to redo the installs... 10+ windows, yuck.
bogamilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,056
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Didn't you have the home inspected before you purchased it?

That screw up should have been really obvious and shouldn't fall onto your shoulders to fix.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Didn't you have the home inspected before you purchased it?

That screw up should have been really obvious and shouldn't fall onto your shoulders to fix.

Part of the joys of a short sale. I got a good deal, just have to work through the projects.

I just wanted to make sure I (or someone I hire) finish these windows right.
bogamilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Chicago, IL
 
Michael Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,037
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?




Go here: http://web.pella.com/supportcenter/i...tructions.aspx

and click on any of the links to double hung windows for details of a typical installation.
__________________
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 04-30-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,056
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bogamilsan View Post
Part of the joys of a short sale. I got a good deal, just have to work through the projects.

I just wanted to make sure I (or someone I hire) finish these windows right.
I gotcha. You can live with a little crap when you got in on SALE!!!!
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Oldie but Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sierra Foothills
Posts: 84
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bogamilsan View Post
I just moved into a home with most of its windows replaced, however they left the finishing to me -- the new owner. So there are no exterior or interior trims.
..the new Andersen windows replaced bigger windows, so whoever installed these had to build up the surround (with 2x4's, drywall, insulation, exterior siding, etc) so that the new (smaller) windows would fit.
The problem is it appears that they installed the windows AFTER they built up the exterior. So the exterior siding of the house (boarding) is underneath the metal casing of the window, ie. you can see the nail heads.
My question is, isn't this a wrong way to install windows? Do I have to redo all these installs (over 10)? Or is this an ok lazy technique of installation -- and I should just finish the trim?
Also on the inside the jamb extensions are like ~1 inch too short as a result of the window depth being pushed out by the depth of the siding.
Thanks in advance!



Link to photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bogamils...eat=directlink
Maybe the installer mistook the siding for the sheathing.

Maybe he was going to re-side or stucco it.

It looks like they pretty much ignored the flashing tape, too.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Thanks for the replies, I'm going to contact someone to redo these things.

How much should I expect per window if I ask for re-installation and exterior trim?
bogamilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 344
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Could be the previous owner had planned to side over the old siding and the windows. It is missing the flashing tape if that's the case. I've seen worse.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Member
 
CrossWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


My first question would be; "Are the 10 or so windows installed exactly like the ones shown in the picture?

Because I can tell you that, when a house has existing shiplap siding boards or the dreaded T-111 junk, unless the windows are installed prior to the siding going up, reinstalling these will be an nightmare. well....not really.

First of all, if you do have someone re-do these, here are the challenges.
  • Your going to have to live with having a narrow trim detail around your window. Something like 2-3/4" trim. I would reccommend 908 Staff Bead Brickmoulding Casing. You can't go any wider because if you do, your essentually cutting the siding off of the framing. Meaning; there should be 3" of framing around the window opening which means a stud and jack stud nailed together.
  • The next problem will be getting the top trim in between the newly installed head flashing and the top of the window. I would suggest ripping an 1/8" off the top of the head trim to make it 1-7/8". This will give you a little playroom to wedge it in there.
  • Also make sure he trims it in picture frame manner. Top piece first, then the sides and finally the bottom piece goes in between the side pieces. Make sure he sprays all the cuts with a Kilz Spray primer
  • The one bonus here may be that the extensions will now come in flush to your interior wall.
My best guess for an expense to fix this debacle would be about 2.5 hrs per window on the 1st floor and 3 hrs for 2nd floor units. Not sure what his hourly rate is but $40 is a good number for someone who knows what their doing. So it's about a $1,200 to $1,300 expense.

Good Luck!
__________________
A great personality will open many doors in life,
but it's your character that keeps them open!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossWorks View Post
My first question would be; "Are the 10 or so windows installed exactly like the ones shown in the picture?

Because I can tell you that, when a house has existing shiplap siding boards or the dreaded T-111 junk, unless the windows are installed prior to the siding going up, reinstalling these will be an nightmare. well....not really.

First of all, if you do have someone re-do these, here are the challenges.
  • Your going to have to live with having a narrow trim detail around your window. Something like 2-3/4" trim. I would reccommend 908 Staff Bead Brickmoulding Casing. You can't go any wider because if you do, your essentually cutting the siding off of the framing. Meaning; there should be 3" of framing around the window opening which means a stud and jack stud nailed together.
  • The next problem will be getting the top trim in between the newly installed head flashing and the top of the window. I would suggest ripping an 1/8" off the top of the head trim to make it 1-7/8". This will give you a little playroom to wedge it in there.
  • Also make sure he trims it in picture frame manner. Top piece first, then the sides and finally the bottom piece goes in between the side pieces. Make sure he sprays all the cuts with a Kilz Spray primer
  • The one bonus here may be that the extensions will now come in flush to your interior wall.
My best guess for an expense to fix this debacle would be about 2.5 hrs per window on the 1st floor and 3 hrs for 2nd floor units. Not sure what his hourly rate is but $40 is a good number for someone who knows what their doing. So it's about a $1,200 to $1,300 expense.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your input, it's very helpful.

The siding is reverse board and batten. And yes all 10 are installed like this.

I would have to get new plywood siding and cut to fit the perimeter of each window and seal the seams where the filler pieces butt up against the existing siding, right? That would mean if you were up close you could see a rectangular seam in the siding around each window.

The other thought that came to mind is to rip off the adjacent pieces of siding as a whole and cut the new 4x8 sheets to fit the new window size. Is that even possible with the overlap installation of these boards.

I'm not sure I understand the narrow trim detail limitation because of the stud and jack stud width. How wide can you go with a non debacled window install and why?
bogamilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #15
Chicago, IL
 
Michael Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,037
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Are my windows installed wrong?


IMO as a practical matter you are going to be able to get away with murder in terms of weather-tight installation of the windows under the porch, they are primarily a cosmetic problem.

You're going to have bigger problems with windows in exposed locations, don't know what your budget is like, but at rehabs of my own rental property I've sometimes found it simpler just to bite the bullet and re-frame slightly oversize, in the end I got a much more satisfactory result both aesthetically and likely in terms of long-term performance.

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Advertisement

__________________
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harvey Windows or Certainteed Bryn Mawr II ??? mike1975 Remodeling 5 04-02-2009 09:40 AM
terrible windows mt232 General DIY Discussions 10 12-28-2008 06:37 AM
Thermal Barrier Windows vs Vinal Windows MeraleeCrowl Remodeling 6 11-05-2008 05:46 PM
Basement windows above floor joists billthecat Building & Construction 7 10-20-2008 09:07 AM
new windows juliejules4 HVAC 12 12-06-2006 02:37 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts