Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

My TV Mount Was Installed Wrong, Please Help

Hey guys,

I hired someone to do this so I wouldn't have to bother everyone, but guess what: he messed it up. Please see the photo. Its a heavy articulating (you can move the TV around) mount and he mounted it with heavy screws through the stud only on the left side. The other he used 100lb drywall anchors. The top right one ripped out when we put the TV on it. How can I tell this guy to reinforce it without making it look awful? Does he need to put a metal strip behind it and extend it to the next stud? What should he do?

He did another TV mount that came out fine because he caught the stud right in the middle of the mount. He went through the stud just with heavy screws, I don't think thats the right thing to do. Doesn't he need butterflys behind metal screws or something?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
My TV Mount Was Installed Wrong, Please Help-messed-up-bracket.jpg  

Drywallhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #2

My suggestion would be to have him cut out the drywall and install 2x8 or 2x10 backing pieces.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

That sounds like a plan, so how would you do that? Cut a hole in the drywall behind the mount and fish a board in there that spans the 2 studs and put it behind the studs and attach it to the studs? I suppose then you put some kind of drywall patching stuff over it then paint it?

Thanks for your valuable time, I hope we can all learn a lot from this one!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

Alright let's assume your bracket for the TV is 6" high where it attaches to the wall. I'd suggest cutting the drywall at twice the size, so 12", and it will need to span 2 or 3 studs depending on where the bracket is in relation to the wall studs. So the cut would be 12" high by roughly 32" or 48" (if the studs are 16" OC). Using a nice straight edge when cutting, like a level, will make to easier to replace the drywall later. And make sure that the cuts end up showing no more than 3/4" on the stud at either end.

Then the bracing, 2x4/2x6/2x8, whatever needs to be cut to fit in between the studs and screwed or nailed in place. Make sure that the bracing is mounted flush with the backside of the adjoining drywall or it will crack and crumble when the bracket for the TV is mounted The most important piece in this process is that the bracing lines up with the holes in the bracket, so the screws for the bracket have something other than than drywall to bite into.

Then the area needs to be closed up with drywall, tape and mud. Then paint and mount the bracket.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
Drywallhelp (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Thanks, do you think my lighter TV that is already hanging fine will stay up there with 2 good screws in a stud right in the middle of the mount and 100lb anchors at the 4 corners?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #6

Yeah, could do. But when I go to mount our 50" TV, for which we paid just over $2000, I'm gonna put blocking in and not ever have to worry if it 'might' be ok.

Last edited by VIPlumber; 08-20-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: correcting error
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #7

Rather than open up the wall, another option would be to install a 3/4" plywood panel on the surface, over the drywall and spanning the wall studs.
Paint it to match the wall color and then screw the TV bracket to the plywood.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #8

The plywood outside the drywall was a good thought and would definitely work, but that won't look super clean like I paid to have it mounted. I'm thinking I'm going to have another guy who does this right move it 6 inches left to mount the stud in the middle and just move the TV 6 inches to the right on the mount to center it that way. I am not sure why I didn't think of this before, its probably the right way to do it. Catching 1 side of the mount is no good. Another $150 moron tax it is

Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

♦ I have installed a number of these type of mounts and have never had a problem.If there is a stud at the far left side There should be one more before you reach the far right (unless your wall is built on 32" centers, and then I wouldn't live there.) within 16" or at worst 24". Can't imagine why there wouldn't be another stud...

Another way is to have at least 4 quality 1/4" Mollies in the other end and center.

OK... one last way with the least patching...
mark where the mount goes, pencil mark around mount. within this space cut a rectangle hole (within the marks), take a piece of 2X6,some liquid nails, and slid it up inside the wall, and screw and glue it (flat side to back of DW). Replace the piece you cut out and patch. Now use 5/16" or 3/8" lag bolts to mount to this piece of wood.
Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #10

It is 24" studs unfortunately and the mount is 20" long. The guys that did this for me didn't know what they were doing and caught the stud on the left. What I'm going to do is mount it 6 inches to the left so the stud is exactly down the middle of the mount and then use 4 100lb drywall anchors on the corners. That seemed to work for the first one they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy555 View Post
♦ I have installed a number of these type of mounts and have never had a problem.If there is a stud at the far left side There should be one more before you reach the far right (unless your wall is built on 32" centers, and then I wouldn't live there.) within 16" or at worst 24". Can't imagine why there wouldn't be another stud...

Another way is to have at least 4 quality 1/4" Mollies in the other end and center.

OK... one last way with the least patching...
mark where the mount goes, pencil mark around mount. within this space cut a rectangle hole (within the marks), take a piece of 2X6,some liquid nails, and slid it up inside the wall, and screw and glue it (flat side to back of DW). Replace the piece you cut out and patch. Now use 5/16" or 3/8" lag bolts to mount to this piece of wood.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #11

Another thing to consider was that the screw they installed in the stud (left side) was not installed properly. It was loose and they kept trying til it didn't really move much so I'm guessing that had something to do with this. Maybe if they got that right the other 100lb drywall anchor wouldn't have pulled out. Who knows. Could have been a weak drywall spot too or they drilled it wrong.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #12

personally I agree with the fellow who said cut out the drywall and install backing. Just cut out as much as you need including room to secure the backing to the framing, drywall and tape; if it will be covered by the TV then you can worry about priming and painting next time you paint.

You won't need to worry about it falling off, and the end result will look finished.

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote