My Deck Plans (drawing) Input Please. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

My deck plans (drawing) input please.

Here is my deck, most of this has been done, but still some things are being worked on. Let me know if there is a better way to do things...especially regarding my guard posts, and I'm probably going to triple my trimmer boards, due to the 11' span on my bay area.

let me know concerns or if I'm missing something. My guard posts will be supporting a pergola those posts are labeled G&P for guard and pergola support. I'm really about to get this thing rapped up asap, so thanks for your quick input.

the bottom is a picture of roughly what has been constructed just so you know where I am, and am/getting rid of the beam and have new footers at the corners.

thanks

here is a picture of roughly what has been constructed just so you know where I am, and am/getting rid of the beam and have new footers at the corners.

Advertisement

csmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #2

I'm starting to think no one likes me lol. anything to me discussed here guys?

thanks

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 592

Yeah, what's the deal here? Is this not a DIY forum?
The only person helping you here is a girl???
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 766

I guess that some of us didn't respond to your OP because we really didn't see anything to comment on. Your plan looks solid and it should work well. I'm not sure about the code requirements in your area that would apply to this project but it would meet any of the requirements here. The only possible thing I would change would be the overlap between the beams that will support the roof and those that support the deck. Your drawing really doesn't show how long the overlap will be, I would make it at least 2' and would have all 3 of the bolts go through both of them. Other than that there's really nothing I would change.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

CS.... It's not you.... it's just me... (worked in high school).... but anyway, I can't read your post... there's a big damn add in the middle of it... don't know if it's how you posted or the site or the advertizer.... sorry

but what I can see in your picture.... looks nice.

EDIT: BTW, it's Home Depot adds, three of them... so as a consumer I'd say.... stop using and boycot advertizers that place their adds so conspiculously that there is no reason to use the site.

Best

Peter

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-12-2013 at 12:29 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

The pergola posts should stack over the support posts to properly transfer load to the footing. We usually use a continuous post that goes from footing to pergola with a notch for the deck beam.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
The pergola posts should stack over the support posts to properly transfer load to the footing. We usually use a continuous post that goes from footing to pergola with a notch for the deck beam.
I was going to do and wanted to do this but having issues making it reality. My rim joist is (2) 2x10 so that's a 3" notch, and I was told I need that 2 board rim joist. then on the corner I have a double outside 2x10 as well, so that's another 3". And then code states they don't want any notched guard posts due to loss of strength. Not sure how this is getting done, and who's listening to who, but together. I don't see how you can have both.

Quote:
Msradell: I guess that some of us didn't respond to your OP because we really didn't see anything to comment on. Your plan looks solid and it should work well. I'm not sure about the code requirements in your area that would apply to this project but it would meet any of the requirements here. The only possible thing I would change would be the overlap between the beams that will support the roof and those that support the deck. Your drawing really doesn't show how long the overlap will be, I would make it at least 2' and would have all 3 of the bolts go through both of them. Other than that there's really nothing I would change.
I was a bit vague on the overlap because I haven't yet decided on how much. I will have to look at the board length and pergola height and see what looks strong. Good job picking up on what I missed. there's one other thing I messed up no one caught it yet

Quote:
MTN REMODEL LLC: CS.... It's not you.... it's just me... (worked in high school).... but anyway, I can't read your post... there's a big damn add in the middle of it... don't know if it's how you posted or the site or the advertizer.... sorry

but what I can see in your picture.... looks nice.

EDIT: BTW, it's Home Depot adds, three of them... so as a consumer I'd say.... stop using and boycot advertizers that place their adds so conspiculously that there is no reason to use the site.

Best

Peter
Sorry yeah, that would of been a big hurting on my responses. I had no idea, it looks fine on my end. I did a "copy link location" from my facebook. I had to host them there. but for anyone who can't see these, its drawings not an advertisement I posted.

I know its a No, No to support wieght on bolts themselves and by doing what I'm doing it will be just that on the guard posts and pergola. each of those is a decent amount of weight but not that much really much, nothing like a deck floor. I want to do this right, that's why I'm slow going and asking questions. It would be done already if I didn't care.

thanks for all your input guys. leaving off, any better suggestions to keep from notches getting the 6x6 to thin and still having good strong guard/pergola support? also anyone concerned with bay span?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmonte View Post
Sorry yeah, that would of been a big hurting on my responses. I had no idea, it looks fine on my end. I did a "copy link location" from my facebook. I had to host them there. but for anyone who can't see these, its drawings not an advertisement I posted.
The reason for the ads showing up in the middle of the post is the pictures are to big. The forum software can't handle this very well and if the pictures are big enough that you have to scroll side to side to see them it somehow tries to find a place to put the ads and locks them right over the images.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #9

I see what you mean, now, yeah, the left side is blocked. hmm, I made them 1240pix, i guess I'll shrink them to 800 from now on.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

anyone?

Advertisement