Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #1

Share |

Is my crown molding damaged?

I had new kitchen cabinets installed with a crown molding to the ceiling, only to find the ceiling is off...of course. Photos below.

Besides that issue that I have to fix, look at the photos of the nails driven into the molding. No way to hide them I would guess, so is the crown damaged? It's all a special finish to match the cabinets. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Is my crown molding damaged?-crown3.jpg   Is my crown molding damaged?-crown1.jpg   Is my crown molding damaged?-crown2.jpg  

nolamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Well, what are you waiting for. Call the contractor that did that sloppy job, and have them come back and fix it.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
old guy contractor

It's not "damaged" yet
.........but I bet it will be after the repair gets done........

Did you do this or a paid contractor?

If you, then we will try to help
If it's by a contractor, keep us posted.......
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #4

Both of thoe issues should have been solved at the install. No reason you should even have to know about it.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
STAFF

At the angle the nail is driven, you may want to check inside the cabinet to see if it came through. That is some sloppy workmanship any way you slice it.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

You have 2 issues. The crown molding is the lesser of them. The contractor should have leveled the ceiling before the sheetrock was installed. To have that mammoth gap is ridiculus.
The askew nail just needs to be cut and filled.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-27-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

I just want to thank everyone for your input. I met with the big-box store manager last Thursday, and came prepared with photos. He sent three people out on Mon. Jan. 31, one is the contractor, one is the installed sales manager, and one is the sales associate aka "kitchen designer" and we went over every problem.

They will be replacing the entire crown molding (going taller from 1 3/4" to 3") as well as take care of the other low-quality installation issues I didn't mention in this forum.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond or read this.

Have a great weekend,

Mary
The Following User Says Thank You to nolamar For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-03-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
uva uvam videndo variafit

I hope they take care of this issue to your satisfaction. I'm concerned, however, that if the ceiling is not level, they will want extra money to level it for you (I assume the big box contractor was only there to hang new cabinets and not frame/sheetrock/paint the room). Redoing the crown will mean (I assume) that the crown will run up hill & flush with the ceiling, while the cabinets remain plumb. This means that the distance between the underside of the crown and the top of th cabinet doors will vary from one side to the other.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I hope they take care of this issue to your satisfaction. I'm concerned, however, that if the ceiling is not level, they will want extra money to level it for you (I assume the big box contractor was only there to hang new cabinets and not frame/sheetrock/paint the room). Redoing the crown will mean (I assume) that the crown will run up hill & flush with the ceiling, while the cabinets remain plumb. This means that the distance between the underside of the crown and the top of th cabinet doors will vary from one side to the other.
Hi WirelessG. I am being cautiously optimistic that they will resolve all of the problems, the most glaring being the molding gap. They were also contracted to update the electrical box and add/rewire all kitchen outlets, necessary kitchen plumbing, two new walls of sheetrock (which I primed and painted). I don't really mind that the crown molding will run slightly "uphill" at the right side. I already painted the ceiling, so if they decide to use compound to level it out, that would be okay too along with the new molding and a repaint of the affected area.

I'm just going to see how it all shakes out from here. I'll post an "after" pic once they are done damaging, err...repairing everything.

Thanks,
Mary
The Following User Says Thank You to nolamar For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-04-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

Smile

Well folks, I finally got the contractor from the Big Box to return with one of his helpers to fix my crown issue as well as 8-9 other problems. ALL of them were fixed to my satisfaction! I did tell him that he had better not bring one of the guys who created all the damage and is responsible for most of the problems because I wouldn't allow him to come into the home.

Now the kitchen is ready for my countertop and undermount sink installation. I am coordinating that this week. Here are 2 update photos taken today, showing the progress which makes me very happy!

Thanks for the great advice you give on this forum. It's priceless.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Is my crown molding damaged?-rework1.jpg   Is my crown molding damaged?-rework2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
uva uvam videndo variafit

WTG - looks good.

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown molding, kitchen cabinets