Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |

murphy bed plans

After doing some searching online, I haven't found any plans that I like, has anyone built their own murphy bed? If anyone would like to suggest some plans that would be great, Apparently you need to use some special hardware? Can anyone help me? I'm renting a room and with my bed it's pretty cramped and I need a place I can work on my laptop and draw up plans and do related work for my house build. I would really like to incorporate a love seat and it be big enough for a queen size. It would also be nice if I can build it right into the wall, is that doable?

qc_riderfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
DIY staff

murphy bed plans

Murphy bed hardware should be easy enough to track down--try Google.

Often,back in the old days---the units were built into a closet wall---allowing you to tuck the thick mattress inside the of the closet space.

This allowed the bottom of the Murphy Bed to be flush to the outside wall when closed---

Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

murphy bed plans

Search this site for a rather recent post on this subject. I found a number of sites selling either kits or just the hardware. Others chimed in with more suggestions.

Are you renting or buying? Your landlord may have a lack of willingness to let you build a Murphy Bed into wall structure? And it sounds like this is temporary so are you sure you want to expend the funds? If you build it in, your landlord may be even more resistant to the idea of you taking it with you when you leave.

A folded out Murphy Bed is still going to take floor space when folded out so you cannot put anything it the space. How about a nice futon or sleeper sofa you could take with you or sell when done? They come in handy for permanent home offices, guest rooms, etc. You can get really nice mattresses for them these days. You can get frames in sizes from twin to Queen and even King I think.

Affordable Portables is a popular place here. Their website will give you some ideas. Overstock and even Amazon would also have ideas. Ikea too I guess.

http://www.affordableportables.net/s...-sleepers.html

Last edited by user1007; 08-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote