Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving ridge beam post

I have a Viceroy Capri home and am planning a massive addition to it. only problem is i have to move the 3 gable supports at the front of the house to make everything work. The roof is parallel roof trusses at a 4 12 pitch and 4 12 ceiling pitch inside. my trusses are sitting on a 8" x 16" ridge beam. supports for the ridge beam are 4x4 posts. if you look at the picture you can see that the 3 post are between windows. the ridge beam extends 4 feet past the post to support the overhang on the gable. only problem i have is that the 4 foot overhang is laddered with 2x6's 8 feet long back to the last truss that is a double truss. this is a standard way of doing gable overhangs but how do you support them when you extend the roof. im comming out another 24 feet with the addition so i need to move the post 4 feet to catch the end of the existing ridge beam and get rid of the other 2 posts. so my question is can i cut the ladders back and scabb a couple of 2x12's on it to act as a rafter and get rid of the 2 posts mid way and move the main post out 4 feet. ive checked the max span of that beam with snow load and it can go 18 feet and bringing it out the 4 feet will only be 17' 9". I know i have to get an engineer to look at this and approve it before i go ahead but i just wanted some ideas before i went any farther

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Moving ridge beam post-capri2.jpg  

brick_layer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Moving ridge beam post

Doesn't the architectural plans address the structural issues in this renovation?
It sounds like you're shooting from the proverbial structural hip with this.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

Moving ridge beam post

architects are not engineers, so no he has put suggestions in it but i know i have to get it looked at by and engineer. i just wanted to get a little feedback to see if anybody has done this before.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

Moving ridge beam post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick_layer View Post
architects are not engineers, so no he has put suggestions in it but i know i have to get it looked at by and engineer. i just wanted to get a little feedback to see if anybody has done this before.
Plans are not plans unless they're structurally signed off on, otherwise they have no more worth then something scribbled on the back of a napkin.
It's the Architects job to deliver buildable plans and to know exactly what needs to be done at every structural turn. If he doesn't, what's his use?
Ron
Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Moving ridge beam post

whats a structural engineer's use then, if architects can sign off on a drawing then whats the point of a structural engineer. I work on commercial buildings and nothing can be touched unless it is approved and stamped by an engineer, sometimes it changes the drawings completley to make it work structurly. an architect draws everything to the best of his knowledge and ability to confirm to code and law and the structural engineers job it to make sure its correct and legally stamp it. and if you read my post i wasnt asking to on the forum here to get someone to structurly engineer it over the internet i was just asking for thoughts,

Last edited by Gary in WA; 05-16-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: As per forum rules, "treat others with respect"
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #6

Moving ridge beam post

Good luck with the project.
Ron
Old 05-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Moving ridge beam post

I'll take a stab at it. Is this the side that is being extended 24ft.? Why do you need to keep that ridge board extended out, instead of cutting all of that overhang off flush with the home.
That 4X4 post between the windows will probably have to be upgraded to support the original and another 24ft. of roof anyway.

What about the ground slope and that deck.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Moving ridge beam post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick_layer View Post
I have a Viceroy Capri home and am planning a massive addition to it. only problem is i have to move the 3 gable supports at the front of the house to make everything work. The roof is parallel roof trusses at a 4 12 pitch and 4 12 ceiling pitch inside. my trusses are sitting on a 8" x 16" ridge beam. supports for the ridge beam are 4x4 posts. if you look at the picture you can see that the 3 post are between windows. the ridge beam extends 4 feet past the post to support the overhang on the gable. only problem i have is that the 4 foot overhang is laddered with 2x6's 8 feet long back to the last truss that is a double truss. this is a standard way of doing gable overhangs but how do you support them when you extend the roof. im comming out another 24 feet with the addition so i need to move the post 4 feet to catch the end of the existing ridge beam and get rid of the other 2 posts. so my question is can i cut the ladders back and scabb a couple of 2x12's on it to act as a rafter and get rid of the 2 posts mid way and move the main post out 4 feet. ive checked the max span of that beam with snow load and it can go 18 feet and bringing it out the 4 feet will only be 17' 9". I know i have to get an engineer to look at this and approve it before i go ahead but i just wanted some ideas before i went any farther

thanks

Ok, so you are adding an addition to the front of the above pictured house?

Unless you are trying to achieve an open concept I would think that you would remove existing gable overhang and start your new roof construction from that point "adding" to the existing structure.

I see no trusses on the above pictured house.
Let me take that back ...I cant see trusses being used on the above pictured house being that chord and web would block the picture windows.

Maybe you've got a flat model or MKII?

http://www.monlac.com/viceroy-construction.html

Hope that helps.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #9

Moving ridge beam post

Trusses or rafters?

Existing appear to be rafters. If the gable end was framed ladder style, You would remove it all and add rafters there, add bigger piers at the posts as they will be doing double load now. You have additional posts and beams between the spans at window breaks? Appears to be a 4x ridge beam, not 8x? If they framed a ladder with a 4' O.H., I hope they doubled the end fly rafter.

As Ron said, the Designer draws it, the Engineer liability's it for the approved set of plans you build it by.

Gary
Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #10

Moving ridge beam post

I have parallel chord top chord bearing trusses in my home right now. on the overhang its 2x6 4 ft in nailled to a double truss. so what i guess im purposing is to remove the laddering back to the double truss and start from there with new trusses. the ridge beam is not getting cut, the cengtre post under the ridge beam is getting moved out to the end of that overhang and thats where the new one starts, truss manufacturer requires a 6x6 post to support it, new ridge beam is a 3 ply LVL. what i want to do is remove the two smaller posts on either side of the ridge beam support all they do right now is support the plate that bears the laddering for the overhang, if i remove the laddering they are no longer bearing any weight.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #11

Moving ridge beam post

Ah...... if I understand the ladder is higher than the dropped chord trusses for the 4' of window view, plus the O.H. Yes, a Structural Engineer could spec that and give his/her blessing after crunching the numbers. Find the beam rating/grade stamp from the plans on file for the S.E. for less money.

Gary