Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #1

moving another load bearing

Just bought a home and I am wanting to build a new load bearing wall three feet away from the existing one, thus enlarging a small bedroom by three feet. I guess I just build the new wall first with studs before I cut out the old load bearing studs. The new studs would simply take over the load. This wall is the only wall on that side of the house so it has to be load bearing I would assume. Its about twelve feet long. Any suggestions? The room next to the bedroom is a great room that is 20'X20' with no supporting walls or pillars anywhere in the room. It has to be load bearing as theres no other walls on that side of the house.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailfun View Post
Just bought a home and I am wanting to build a new load bearing wall three feet away from the existing one, thus enlarging a small bedroom by three feet. I guess I just build the new wall first with studs before I cut out the old load bearing studs. The new studs would simply take over the load. This wall is the only wall on that side of the house so it has to be load bearing I would assume. Its about twelve feet long. Any suggestions? The room next to the bedroom is a great room that is 20'X20' with no supporting walls or pillars anywhere in the room. It has to be load bearing as theres no other walls on that side of the house.

Be careful...

Try to get up into your attic (if you can) and look to see if you can follow your ceiling joists to see how the ceiling is designed, and how it was built.
You see, some homes may have 2 lengths of ceiling joists, as opposed to one continues joist. The corresponding ends can be over a load bearing wall. Thus, moving the wall 3' could leave the ends of 1/2 the ceiling joists completely unsupported. So you need to check and see ...and be sure BEFORE moving anything...

Please: Do not guess, assume, or estimate... when dealing with such a renovation. You need to physically check and 'see' and determine....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #3

Thank you for the advice. I get it. I have to replace the entire ceiling anyway so Ill make close friends with the ceiling joists before doing anything drastic. It makes sense that the ceiling joists would have two lengths and have to meet somewhere up there.