Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

movement in new fence post

I had a wooden fence with loose fence posts so I had a fence company install new posts. Now that they are installed, I notice that there is about 3/4'' to 1'' of movement at the top of some of the posts when I apply light pressure. There are 36'' of post in the ground and seven feet above ground, according to the company. I asked about the movement and the company said up to 1'' of movement at the top of the post is acceptable. Can anyone provide insight...does this sound reasonable? How much movement would you consider to be acceptable at the top of the post?

Thanks in advance for any help. I haven't paid them yet and am trying to decide whether I should insist that this is too much movement or if this kind of movement is normal in a new fence post.

Jon

sibs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

How were they set?

In concrete (mixed or dry pack), limestone, dirt pack, etc.?

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

This is such a bunch of bs.

Now there is a tolerance for how much fence posts should wiggle?

How much will they wiggle after you've put a chain on them near the top and pulled with a truck in a few directions?

So are you able to get a fence built with them or not?
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If they were just set, yes there will be a bit of movement. Why are you messing with them, if just put in the ground? Also if the OP ever returns, need the info in post #2.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies.

Windows-It's in concrete. Sorry, don't know if it's mixed or dry pack. It was some kind of fast-setting concrete because they did the whole thing (start to finish) in a few hours.

Cleveman-Not sure I follow?

Gregzoll-The wiggling was done three days after they were put in. The company removed the fence panels, removed every-other post, installed new posts, then put the panels back up in a few hours (maybe three max). There are about ten fence posts and they replaced six of them. They only replaced every-other post because oddly only every-other post was weak. Maybe the original installer got lazy and did every-other post shallow. Anyway, the original odd-numbered posts barely move if pressure is applied while some of the new even-numbered posts are moving. I am concerned that when we get heavy winds, I'll see more movement and will be back where I was before this work started.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Once the panels go back on, then it would move as one unit. You want the fencing t be an!e to move, due to wood shrinks and expands, depending on the weather.

If you made it so that the posts did not move, you would end up with a lot of problems. As for the previous posts being shallow, it all depends on where you live, and what is the minimum required depth at that time, which may have changed, is why they went deeper this time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Hi Gregzoll, it's not really moving as one unit...I can wiggle the new loose posts but the next post down the line doesn't wiggle. The panel or attachment between the panel and post must flex or something. This is on a rental property I own. On my primary house, I have quite a bit of fencing and all the posts there are pretty rigid...haven't had any problems. Thanks for your comment...still trying to figure out what to do.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Mod

If the post are set in concrete there should no movement at the "base" of the post. A 7' above grade 4x4 will likely have a little deflection at the top if you're pushing on it.

If you're pushing the top and you're moving dirt,call them back. If it's solid at the base then you're good to go.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Yep, the movement is at the base. I can see the concrete moving. I've asked the installer to fix it but he is saying movement up to 1'' at the top is ok. I guess I'll need to ask him again and hope for a different response.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #10

I have 6 foot square pvc posts with aluminum inserts and they don't move at all, even at top.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

One reason why we never cemented wooden posts. When the wood dries and shrinks, they get loose. If you can get to the concrete, try driving a wedge made of treated lumber down beside the post. Make the wedge on a really long taper. If the concrete is rocking, then get some good sized ballast rocks and sledgehammer them in next to the concrete.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Yes the concrete is rocking. I guess if I can't get the installer to make it right, I can do what you said with pounding stuff in there.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibs77 View Post
Yes the concrete is rocking. I guess if I can't get the installer to make it right, I can do what you said with pounding stuff in there.
Poorly mixed concrete, or they did not add any water at all, and are just expecting the environment to set the concrete.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
One reason why we never cemented wooden posts. When the wood dries and shrinks, they get loose. If you can get to the concrete, try driving a wedge made of treated lumber down beside the post. Make the wedge on a really long taper. If the concrete is rocking, then get some good sized ballast rocks and sledgehammer them in next to the concrete.

Great fix right here for the shrinking post.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #15

It's not the post that is shrinking, rather the whole post+concrete rock together. So the concrete is loose in the soil. But yes that is a good fix for people with shrinking post issues.