Mortise Jig - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Mortise Jig

Where can I find a jig for use with antique mortise sets like the one seen here...

The one I did find is for 1 3/8" doors, mine are a lot thicker.




Last edited by BorgsnMerrick; 02-27-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
BorgsnMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
A door a day is all I ask
TheDoorGuy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Coast of California
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 75

My first door mortise tool was called a Grumbach mortiser...I am
not sure about that spelling. It clamped to the door and held a
special 1" speed bore type bit nice and straight. You would attach
your drill moter to it and drill the first hole. Crank the handle and it
would move the bit up a little and you could drill another hole.
It worked pretty well but it's probably hard if not impossible to find.

The modern day way is of course the Porter Cable 513 mortiser...
Very cool tool but cost is about $1000 plus the adjustable face plate template.

Unless you have a bunch of them, you are probably better off laying them out
and drilling by hand.


Richard The Door Guy

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012

If the picture is about actual size, I would do it with a plunge router. If there is any bevel to the edge of the door, I would clamp some blocks in place to make my router set correctly. And I would use an edge guide to keep my bit centered.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,188
Rewards Points: 5,336

You need a jig to do this. Check the local tool rental stores for this mortiser.
Another option, if you have a drill press, is to use a mortising attachment. They will go deep enough and the cut will be controlled.
They also sell bench top mortisers that will do the job. You just need to set it up with the door.

Last edited by Ron6519; 02-28-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to take these old treads off? Mechelle Flooring 26 10-26-2010 07:42 PM
looking for help with an old mortise lock Polecatt2 General DIY Discussions 12 09-19-2010 06:52 PM
Replacing mortise locks? chins01 Remodeling 6 07-16-2008 07:14 PM
Where can I find cams for a Medeco mortise cylinder? BradG General DIY Discussions 2 04-16-2008 03:14 PM
Prep for re-gluing mortise and tenons? gshock Carpentry 2 08-22-2007 11:38 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1