More Questions On Stair Finishing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

More Questions on stair Finishing

My wife asked me the other day why the stairs are taking so long and I finally told her things tend to take longer when you don't know what your doing

Anyway I started cutting and scribing the oak treads and was wondering if these should be glued and nailed or just glued. I was thinking that a few finish nails in would keep the tread in place while the glue dries. But, then I would need to cover the nail holes.

Also, What's the best way to attach the newel posts? I could cut a square hole in the tread and fasten the newel posts to the stringer, but using one of those plates that screws to the bottom of the post and gets covered with trim would be easier.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Advertisement

kcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 614

I would use the plate or a threaded hanger bolt. Try ljsmith, they specialize in stair hardware.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

I never rely on glue alone, always sending two 12 d casing nails , which have larger heads than finishing nails, into each stringer. Make a couple of simple wood cheat sticks to keep the nails lined up both from the edges of the treads and from the risers, predrill through the oak, and protect the treads from stray hammer marks with a thin piece of wood with a slot cut into it, so you can slip it around the nail. Finish the last few blows with a good nail set.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote