Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Modifying Truss (Garage)

I recently bought this house and bought a garage door opener. What I did not take into consideration while buying or assembling the opener is that there is very little clearance between two rafter ties and the door when its open.

What I am trying to figure out is if there is anyway to modify the rafter ties to allow for the extra 3" of clearance I need (Notch, etc). The rafter ties appear to be 2x6" and are a simple design. The garage is a small 280 sq ft. single bay garage with rafter ties about 3' apart.

I'll scrap the project if I have to but I don't think I'll get my money back from Home Depot on the half installed Garage Door Opener
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying Truss (Garage)-04282008-001.jpg   Modifying Truss (Garage)-04282008-002.jpg   Modifying Truss (Garage)-04282008-003.jpg   Modifying Truss (Garage)-04282008-004.jpg  

Last edited by jmills; 10-15-2008 at 12:47 PM.
jmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Modifying Truss (Garage)

It looks like the door clears the operator, so am I missing something in the pics?

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #3

Modifying Truss (Garage)

You don't have trusses, you have rafters with ties. I wouldn't modify them, regardless. You should be able to get a low head room track kit for the garage door...the track will make a tighter radius at the top giving you more space above the door, but less below.

But as Maintenance 6 said...it does look like it clears...is there something going on that we can't see? Just because the instructions say there should be "X" amount of space either above or below the opener rail doesn't necessarily mean it MUST have that much clearance to operate or function correctly.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Modifying Truss (Garage)

These are not trusses. You have a very strong roof with the rafter 2x6's on 16" and the rafter ties all over the place.

Here is what I would do.

First put in another rafter tie on the opposite side of the one that is giving you problems only put it up the distance you need for the garage to clear. Tie is into the same rafter the original one is on (only it will be a little higher and on the opposite side). Then nail the 2x4 coming down from the ceiling to that new board or put another in there to take it's place. Make sure you tie that into board above it.

Then you can notch out the existing beam as needed.

I have done this with similar situations and know what you are dealing with.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #5

Modifying Truss (Garage)

Sorry, I am relativly new when it comes to terms, etc. When the door comes about 3/4 of the way up it pinches the rail between the door and the boards.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #6

Modifying Truss (Garage)

Take the collar ties out one at a time. Cut a couple of inches off one end at same angle as they are now. Re-install up higher.
As stated this is not a truss so you can modify.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #7

Modifying Truss (Garage)

Thanks Guys!

I was able to complete the install and my garage is still standing. I really appreciate all the help.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

Modifying Truss (Garage)

Tell us what you did. Post some more pictures.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #9

Modifying Truss (Garage)

I added a second tie above the current ties that needed to be cut. Then I notched the original ties enough to allow the track to come through. I still need to clean some stuff up, but I will take some pictures and post them in the coming days.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #10

Modifying Truss (Garage)

Your garage looks just like mine. I just finally got it cleared out enough to store my car inside. Would like to install an opener, and will probably follow same steps as you to be successful!

My door barely clears the rafters as well.

chelseyafoster is offline   Reply With Quote