Mobile Home Closet Door Help Please - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mobile home closet door help please

Hi everyone, I live in a single wide 1999/2000 mobile home and am beginning some repairs/changes. I would like to replace the closet doors with mirrored either sliders or bifold. The trouble lies in that my current doors are 88" high, with the opening being approx 90" in height. I live in a remote area with no mobile home specific building supply stores. I am wondering how easy/expensive it would be to either diy my own closet doors (I have virtually no construction experience, but follow instructions well) or do you think it wold be best to get some ordered from my local building supply store? Apologies if this has been covered extensively but I had unsuccessful searches. Thanks ahead for any help you can provide, Cheers!!

Advertisement

maggieofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're not going to do this with your experience. Substrate, mirrors, hardware connection? I'd order one and be happy you could install it.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the info,
I'll get in touch with our building supply place and see if it's cost effective to order new ones.
If not I may consider doing the whole glue the mirror to the existing door thing or mirror tiles or.......just painting the door panels as they are and replacing the messed up rollers I have.
Glad to have some input, thanks!
Cheers!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I've made Bi-fold doors from MDF that you could stick the adhesive tiles to.
The track and roller hardware kits are available through your local Home Hardware.

(Canadian, I see. Me too)
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieofar View Post
Thanks for the info,
I'll get in touch with our building supply place and see if it's cost effective to order new ones.
If not I may consider doing the whole glue the mirror to the existing door thing or mirror tiles or.......just painting the door panels as they are and replacing the messed up rollers I have.
Glad to have some input, thanks!
Cheers!
If you start adding weight to the door, remember that the hardware was designed to carry the door as it was produced. If you switch the hardware, make sure it will carry the increased load.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Thanks for your feedback, I'll research the mdf path and see whether it's something I feel I can tackle when I find plans and glad to get the heads' up on the hardware.
The existing hardware is shot on the one closet so when I go to replace it I will just go with a heavier duty type in case of future weight add ons or heavier doors.
Cheers!

Advertisement