Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Mixing differnet crown moldings

Hi,

I am finally around to using the carpentry forum; plumbing and electric have bee very helpful!

I don't know what to do in my kitchen. I will be installing full length wall cabinets with matching crown at the ceiling. How do I do crown in the rest of the room where there are no cabinets. For example, in the middle of one wall there is a single work station-cabinet-piece who's crown molding will die into the wall on either side. How do I continue crown to the left and right of the piece? Do I have to use the same profile crown for the walls-to-ceiling that I use for the cabinets-to-ceiling or is there a way to blend in a less ornate profile. I wish to paint the wall-to-ceiling crown, (the cabinets and cabinet-to-ceiling crown are stained.)

In short I guess I am asking if it is common to cope one painted simple crown into a stained larger crown, and will it look good? Or do I need to continue with the same crown throughout the room, and if so, do I paint it where it's against the wall, or not. Or do I just forgo crown along walls?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Rob

moondog111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
wilderstyle

Rewards Points: 75

I wouldn't put crown on the wall if the cabinets have it. The cabinets will be the art. If you do, I would use a low profile copy of what you have on the cabinets. I wouldn't necessarily try to connect it. Does the kitchen connect with any other rooms? Can you show a pic of the walls?

wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I ran into a similar situation a few months ago..If you have wall crown molding meeting cabinet crown molding, it has to be the same material in my opinion..It can be painted meeting stain, that looks fine..
VA Beach Trimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
timthetoolman

Coping two different types of crown molding together will not work, and will look pretty poor. Because it is the detail that you are coping in one piece to match the detail of the other piece of crown. Will not work. Also i believe it would look rather funny to have a painted piece of crown running into a stained piece of crown molding.

Try this-Go to home depot or local hardware store. They actually sell corner pieces for the diyer to put in corners and you can butt pieces of crown right up to. Stain pieces to match crown on cabinets. On other side of corner piece you can butt any kind of crown painted or stained and that should help with the transitions as well as add a little decorative touch.
timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Once I had a similar problem, so installed a square block in the corner.
The crown on the wall abutted the block on one side and the cabinet crown abutted the other side.
I cut the bottom of the block off with a compound angle!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #6

Thank you all. I will consider Tim's idea with the plinth block prefab molding thing. But ultimately I will probably scrap the idea of crown on the walls in the kitchen and let the cabinet molding stand alone.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

Rob
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
wilderstyle

Tim's idea is good if it is decorative and not just a chunk of wood. Crown is not a typical design element in kitchens (currently) because it is harder to clean than a flat wall. If you have 3 or 4 inch beautiful mouldings on the cabinets, I say, let that be the focal point. The eye wants to see the beautiful custom cabinets and the food, don't confuse the eye! Thanks for listening, we all love to give opinions!
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #8

thanks for your help!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Here's a thread with some pics/drawings that might help if you're still messing with it:

Crown Molding in the Kitchen

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Still Learning

Just to throw my .02 in to the mix. J is right IMO. I just ran into this problem in my brothers kitchen and dining room remodel.

The termination blocks are the best way to accomplish having two different types of crown. If done correctly, it can actually be quite elegant.

By the way, was that sketchup J?
Able Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #11

Hey Matt, it's Chief Architect. I do have sketchup on my to-learn list though... (only been on there for a year or two so far).

J
Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Still Learning

For a free program it is extremely powerful. It's also very easy to learn. Heck if I can learn it, anyone can.
Able Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #13

yeah, I've seen some great results with it...I always seem to find something else to do though... (i don't want to admit that it's just laziness ).

J
Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #14

Thanks for the pics! Yes, while I won't be doing wall crown in the kitchen, I haven't totally left the idea, as I have to either end the crown in the family-room at a return over the threshold to the kitchen (on a common wall that begins cabinet crown 2 inches later) or scrap putting crown in the family room. Maybe the return of wall crown two inches awayform the return of cabinett crown would look okay... need some sketch up skills to see it, but I will probaby just hold a piece up after I install the cabinet crown.

Thanks again.

Ciao,

Rob