Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Mitre saw making weird cuts?

I've had my 10" mitre saw for about 6 years and for the most part it hasn't given me any trouble. Today I'm trying to mitre cut some 5/8" MDF trim around windows and doors and this is what kind of results it's giving me with two blades - brand new 200 teeth blade(very smooth clean cut) as well as my trusty ripping blade(seen in the picture which has never done me wrong). :

The trim is touching at the top and the bottom and when flipped over the trim meets together just fine. I think my saw may be out of alignment. Any suggestions as to what's wrong? I've checked the swivel cut and it's resting at the factory 0 degree mark.

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

if you flip it over and trim is tight then your bevel needs adjusted what is brand and model of saw
sorry just saw what you posted under pic bevel adjustment screw needs adjusting

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

try this link might help

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/...r-saw-tune-up/
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

the 2nd poster got it dead on, the saw isnt cutting square any more when you swing it around to cut a 45 degree mitre. this is common as saws get older or if dust starts to built up under the table

the simply fix is to set the saw on a 1 degree back bevel so the mitre is tight on the face where you see it. i do this on my saw all the time for cutting trim, not because its out but because bulges in drywall or framing that wasnt flushed up can cause this to happen. its a production trim carpenters trick, same as setting hte saw at 44 degrees on the bevel for cutting inside corners and 46 degrees for outside corners when installing baseboard, crown and chair rail
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-04-2012), Tom Struble (05-02-2012), user1007 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Some great tips here! Read that article, question I have is - is it worth all the hassle for a no name saw that cost under $200 that I've used the crap out of already?

It doesn't cut straight at 0 degrees if you flip a board over, it doesn't cut 45 degrees(more like 47) when set to either left or right, and the bevel randomly seems to add a degree or two depending on something I haven't figured out since it's inconsistent. The saw also appears to be "pitting" the cuts, leaving high and low spots from the blade. Haven't figured that out yet either since it does it with two different style of blades.

Basically seems like every adjustment that is critical in a mitre saw has gone wrong for me at this point. Didn't realize how bad it was until I read that article.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

lol it sounds like what happened to my named brand saw after some one borrowed it, along with bent fence.
if you need an excuse to buy better saw then go ahead but i have had to do fine tuning on out of box name brand saw too though. not to mention when i worked for a builder with over 100 employees but only 15 knowledgeable carpenters every time you got the slider it took 30 minutes to tune it and then as soon as job was done back it went to a breathing body. to get all whacked up again
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

by the sounds of things the bearings are toast on your saw causing blade deflection.. this is common on saws as they age. dewalt mitre saws are notorious for this espcially their sliders
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Even though your blades are new, saw blades are often not what they used to be. I usually took brand new ones to my sharpener to have the "warp" and "wobble" taken out of them. The sharpeners are able to put a better cutting edge than came with the blades too. They didn't charge that much. Sharpeners kind of went down as part of a bygone era though.

As suggested though. The shaft, bearings and so forth on your saw itself may just have served you well and aged. This day and age it is not worth repairing but heavy industrial saws and even they may require more to rebuild than to replace.

Looks like a quality caulking gun is in your future for now?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Retired Cabinetmaker

Rewards Points: 156

If it's a quality brand saw, then it's worth fixing. Tools can last a lifetime if taken care of.
Assuming this is not a "Fisher Price" saw, I would give the tool some TLC.
Get an air-hose to all the moving parts and clean out all the dust from the swivel and the fences.Give them all a good dose of appropriate oil. Using a good square check all the fences are at 90 degrees. Check all bolts are tight.
Check that the speed stop for the swivel bed is not worn and stops at 22.5, 45, 90 degrees. Check that the vertical angle is set at 90 degrees. Don't trust factory settings after 6 years of use. With saw un plugged, check that there is no play in the arbor bearing, could need new, might grease up and tighten up. Check there is no resin or debris build-up behind the arbor spacer.
From the cut, it looks like it could be either a cheap blade or a blade warping under pressure or centrifugal force like a bad bearing, or a wobble as the blade reaches full speed. Try allowing the blade to reach full potential rotation and see what this does.
I am used to dealing with high RPM saws and sometimes it's a little thing.

If this saw is really a dinosaur......... it's time to invest in a good one.
Hope this helped

Woody 4249
woody4249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
journeyman carpenter

saws with higher rpms will correct blade warp the force of the blade spinning straightens it out, if the bearings are bad thats where blade wobble comes into play.

i use 2 12 " dewalts at work which are horrible for this, one is 4 years old and the other 1 year old. the older one has been rebuilt twice and the new one needs to go in, both are belt driven and run at low rpms. i own a bosch 12" and it has no issues with accuracy and runs at over 1000 rpms more than the dewalts
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
lol it sounds like what happened to my named brand saw after some one borrowed it, along with bent fence.
if you need an excuse to buy better saw then go ahead but i have had to do fine tuning on out of box name brand saw too though. not to mention when i worked for a builder with over 100 employees but only 15 knowledgeable carpenters every time you got the slider it took 30 minutes to tune it and then as soon as job was done back it went to a breathing body. to get all whacked up again
Wish someone would borrow my saw. Give me an excuse to buy the sliding Bosch saw!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

sliding or gliding bosch. the slider is awesome, the axial glide is amazing!!!! im not 100% certain but i think they will be releasing a 10" axial glide soon
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

I want one!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Haverhill Trade 1965

When I bought my miter saw 14 (+ or -) years ago I tried every miter saw I could find by holding down the base and the handle trying to move the saw back and forth looking for play in the pivot (affecting the blade angle). 0 is not square if it moves, some moved almost 2 degrees. Only one didn't move at all, so I bought it, and it is still working just as good. Only thing is it is just a straight miter, no slide. Can I get someone to borrow it so I have an excuse to buy a new one? Schlitz isn't the only thing that made M------e famous
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Stairguy

please dont waste your money on the glide bosch. I have 2 dewalt 12"in 2 different styles and 12" makitas. The bosch is my least favorite. it is the most awkward saw to use and the glide is borderline dangerous because it glides when you dont want it to, and you need to constantly lock it.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-04-2012)