Miter Suggestions For Larger Trim In 6 Bathrooms? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Miter suggestions for larger trim in 6 bathrooms?

I got an estimate for installing baseboard molding and the lowest price was $3/linear foot, and that is with me supplying the trim.

In 6 bathrooms, I will be installing 6-8" baseboard molding and various smaller molding to clean up corners around showers, cabinets,etc..

-I have about 180 liner feet of baseboard trim.
-not all angles are 90 degree

for the cost of the baseboard alone I can buy a Dewalt 16ga cordless nailer, and still have cash to spare. besides I will own the tool for future use. thats not counting the cost of what it would be for all the additional trim that needs installed to clean up other corners probably another 100 linear feet of work, haven't measured that yet.

I'm not sure what to get for mitering the corners of the trim. I was going to buy a Hitachi 10" miter, but read in some reviews that if you plan on cutting trim wider than 3.5" to get another saw...

I'm open for suggestions, weather it be hand mitering or power, I need to be able to cut some taller baseboard.

thanks

Advertisement

bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

For large trims like you described a 12" double tilt, sliding compound miter saw would be the choice.

And to make your coped corners--a coping saw--and a Dremel type tool with a sanding sleeve---

Advertisement

bokeh (10-13-2011), woodworkbykirk (11-01-2013)
Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

What he said, but only outside corners get mitered. All other joints should get coped joints. They fit tighter and stay that way longer.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
bokeh (10-13-2011), joecaption (10-31-2013)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can use a 10" sliding compound saw with a single bevel for up to 10" moldings if you lay them flat on the saw base.
A double bevel is handier as there's less maneuvering with the wood.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
bokeh (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Tanks for the help.

I went ahead and ordered the DEWALT DW718 12-Inch Double-Bevel Slide Compound Miter Saw, DEWALT DWX723 Heavy Duty Miter Saw Stand, and a 80 tooth Forrest blade, and the DEWALT DC618K XRP 18-Volt Cordless 1-1/4 Inch - 2-1/2 Inch 16 Gauge 20 Degree Angled Finish Nailer Kit.

got it all on amazon for what seemed to be a good price. the 12" miter was only about $10 more than the 10", so I went with the bigger one. I just hope I didn't overlook some feature. Gotta love having it shipped to your door for free, and at a better price than any local store has to offer

all for about the cost that it would have cost my lowest estimate that a carpenter gave me to install, without trim cost. Now at least I'll have the right tools to do some more work around here.

Last edited by bokeh; 10-13-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
What he said, but only outside corners get mitered. All other joints should get coped joints. They fit tighter and stay that way longer.
I've read up on coping, and watched a few videos. Is a clean coped joint possible from someone who hasn't done it before, or is it a technique that requires finesse and experience to look good?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
DIY staff

It's a quick learning curve---Just remember to back cut the miter a few degrees---

The biggest pain is getting the correct coping saw blade---if you have trouble switch to a finer tooth.

Coping saws cut on the pull stroke so put the blade in the frame with the teeth pointing to the handle.

I'm not recommending this method but go to Youtube and search for Coping with an angle grinder.

Fun videos---and works well for crazy copes like cutting a mantel into a stone fireplace.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

So far as coping inside corners my advice is to use an angle grinder. Got the idea from the FINE HOME BUILDING SITE. Here is an illustration on U-tube, . Saved me a lot of time doing it this way. One thing to remember is your going to kick up a lot of sawdust and would want to do this outside.

Just my two cents, rredogg

Last edited by rredogg; 10-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.
rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,002

I use a porter cable jigsaw for all my coping work, from shoe mold on up. I use a smaller scrolling blade then finish up with a rat tail file. Very quick once you practice a bit and not much mess at all. No need for dremels or angle grinders.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredogg View Post
So far as coping inside corners my advice is to use an angle grinder. Got the idea from the FINE HOME BUILDING SITE. Here is an illustration on U-tube, . Saved me a lot of time doing it this way. One thing to remember is your going to kick up a lot of sawdust and would want to do this outside.

Just my two cents, rredogg
That was pretty incredible. You must have to have a helluva steady hand to do that. I don't think I'd be able to get a straight line. I guess if it's going to be painted, the caulk will take care of any waviness in the cut anyways eh?
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
DIY staff

The grinder,set up with two 60 grit paper disks(back to back),is really easy to control---
BigJim (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 664

Most often inside an out side corners are never exactly 90 deg.
With one of these you can figure out what angles to cut and get a tighter fit every time.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CJSQ4S/...l_487tnsagfv_e

It will tell you the angle for a single or a double cut so there's no figuring it out on paper or a calculator.
Dave88LX (10-31-2013), oh'mike (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

A little late to the party but I'm wondering how you like the dewalt nailer. It seems bulky and heavy. I have the Hitachi and it is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,826

I know this is an old thread but good grief, there is no wonder I had so much work, I was way too cheap on our labor. $3 a foot labor for base . Man, I wish I was still in business.

Sorry, I haven't tried the Dewalt nail gun so I can't say.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-01-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The grinder,set up with two 60 grit paper disks(back to back),is really easy to control---
You don't say... My wife is going to make me stop coming to this place you know. Luckily, I have a grinder I bought when I was doing tile; I'll throw a pair of paper discs in there and see how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Most often inside an out side corners are never exactly 90 deg.
With one of these you can figure out what angles to cut and get a tighter fit every time.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CJSQ4S/...l_487tnsagfv_e

It will tell you the angle for a single or a double cut so there's no figuring it out on paper or a calculator.
I have one of those on the way. I have a much much cheaper inaccurate version of it right now.

I had an inside corner to do last night, not a 135* but it was 146-147*. Took me what felt like 20 cuts to figure out what the hell miter angle I was supposed to be using.

147 - 90 = 57
57 / 2 = 28.5
45 - 28.5 = 16.5

I'm sure there is a simpler solution. I didn't know this going into it, but I was able to extrapolate that as I was making the cuts. I'll know next time.

Advertisement

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote