Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Share |

Miter Saw - Am I using it wrong, or is it not up to the task? (Molding)

I bought this saw about 6 years ago from one of the box stores for $100, and it included a "free" stand. It's served me excellent for what I have used it for so far, namely installing my wood floor. Mostly chop cuts, and the occasional angle. I didn't realize how off it was until tonight, trying to make my miter cuts so that I could cope my joints.

The saw in question:

Made my initial 45* cut, then went to cut off the majority of the waste, and I noticed this was happening. Something is obviously out of whack. (The board is not at an angle causing it to cut like that. The guide runs the full height of the board).

Curious, I laid the board flat, tilted the blade 45*, and made another cut. This is what I was met with: (I see a lot of people make the cut with the board standing up, but I don't have enough depth to cut all the way through).

I checked my blade for square. It was *slightly* off, so I squared it up. Tried again. Slightly better, not much.

I checked the blade for perpendicular to the feed guide. To get a straight perpendicular cut with the blade tilted at 45*, I find that I need to rotate the base ~1.25* towards the right to get the right cut.

Is this common? Limitation of my cheap saw? Is it just out of adjustment? I have a lot of nice tools, and I really cheaped out on this when I bought it. For as much as I've used it and as much as I will be using it, I'm wondering if I should make due with what I have for now, but consider upgrading.

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #2

Well, the old saying...You get what you pay for...
There may possibly be some adjustments you can make on the stops that set the fixed angles. Both of my chop saws have them.

I also just noticed that this is a compond angle saw. Is the angle setting in the back set to zero. This is the one that tilts the blade side to side, not the one that swings left to right

Last edited by danpik; 10-25-2013 at 05:46 AM.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #3

Pictures to blurry to see much on the saw but it looks like you should be able to adjust the position of those red position indicators.
Most saws have a screw or bolt with a lock nut to make adjustment to where the stops are.
DexterII (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

I doubt that I would ever buy one, except perhaps for just cutting up scrap and such, and, as Dan said, which you already knew, you do get what you pay for, but I know enough guys who have lower end saws, and have worked around enough of them, that I would not consider it a lost cause. As Joe said, most miter saws, including that one I would bet, have adjustments. And, just like other price driven variables, sometimes the adjustments take longer or require more frequent attention. All part of of the price sometimes. But, essentially any power saw, a miter saw, table saw, band saw, etc., regardless of what you paid for it, is going to require periodic adjustements. And, it can take time. Just like keeping chisels sharp, sometimes you have to set aside time, other than when you need to use the tool right now, to give it some TLC. I'd bet that, unless you dropped it out a second story window, you can get it to cut accurately. May not apply in this particular situation that you have, but also keep in mind that low priced saws typically come with low priced blades, and that can make a big difference as well.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
ThatDaveGuy (10-30-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

I made a set of gauge blocks to expedite fine tuning the adjustments on my saws. They can get out of whack from time to time.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

My saw has a lot of the same problems as yours. I find that if you need a very accurate cut, you can't just go by the degree numbers on the dial --- you need to make a test cut and check it. My saw also has some difficulty coming down all the way for a through cut. Maybe somebody will chime in with a simple solution, but what I do is put a piece of scrap 1/4" hardboard or similar, to raise my workpiece.

On these cheap saws, one thing to keep your eye on is if the blade has a lot of free play. Then the bushing that the spindle shaft is riding in is shot, and its time for a new saw.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
Well, the old saying...You get what you pay for...
There may possibly be some adjustments you can make on the stops that set the fixed angles. Both of my chop saws have them.

I also just noticed that this is a compond angle saw. Is the angle setting in the back set to zero. This is the one that tilts the blade side to side, not the one that swings left to right
Get what you pay for...I've learned that the hard way a few times. As much as I have spent on other tools that I don't use NEARLY as much as this saw, you would think I'd have put down the cash for something a bit nicer. I didn't really know at the time when I bought it. For $100, I would say it's served its purpose though.

There are adjustments yes, forgive my lack of the proper terms. I did adjust the angle setting in the back last night ever so slightly.

I will need to take a closer look at it in the light to see what kind of adjustments I have for the horizontal adjustment (so that I don't have to rotate the base slightly to get square).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Pictures to blurry to see much on the saw but it looks like you should be able to adjust the position of those red position indicators.
Most saws have a screw or bolt with a lock nut to make adjustment to where the stops are.
I don't think moving that red arrow will do much for me, as "0*" has a detent. Would prefer to be able to click it into 0* and have it be square. Got to check how that adjusts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I doubt that I would ever buy one, except perhaps for just cutting up scrap and such, and, as Dan said, which you already knew, you do get what you pay for, but I know enough guys who have lower end saws, and have worked around enough of them, that I would not consider it a lost cause. As Joe said, most miter saws, including that one I would bet, have adjustments. And, just like other price driven variables, sometimes the adjustments take longer or require more frequent attention. All part of of the price sometimes. But, essentially any power saw, a miter saw, table saw, band saw, etc., regardless of what you paid for it, is going to require periodic adjustements. And, it can take time. Just like keeping chisels sharp, sometimes you have to set aside time, other than when you need to use the tool right now, to give it some TLC. I'd bet that, unless you dropped it out a second story window, you can get it to cut accurately. May not apply in this particular situation that you have, but also keep in mind that low priced saws typically come with low priced blades, and that can make a big difference as well.
You make a good point. I've never made any adjustments on this in the 6 years I've owned it. I'll give them a shot, but, also talk myself into buying a nice 12" saw in the future.

Oh, the the blade it came with I never even used. The blade I installed originally cost almost as much as the saw did.

Actually found some old pictures of when she was new, befor I changed the blade out. Yeah it's nothing special at all. I'll see if I can get some more adjustment out of it, but keep in mind that I should upgrade. Definitely got my money's worth.

Glad to know it's the saw and not me.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 10-25-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

In my area at least, there is a certain big box store that is selling nice dewalt saws and you get a free $200 stand with it when you buy.

I know this because I bought a saw and stand last year at full retail and now every time I go there I get pissed.
dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

What amazes me is how anyone can produce any saw for $100 bucks, let alone a good one. How do you engineer, construct, and ship anything at that low price??? I assume that the retail price includes shipping from Mexico or China, so how much production cost can there be left and still make a profit???
ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantryOntario View Post
What amazes me is how anyone can produce any saw for $100 bucks, let alone a good one. How do you engineer, construct, and ship anything at that low price??? I assume that the retail price includes shipping from Mexico or China, so how much production cost can there be left and still make a profit???
They probably still made $60 on the saw at the time the op bought it.

I read one time that for things wally world makes it is cheaper for them to ship the raw materials to china have someone there make it and then ship it back here to the US than it is to just make it in the US.
dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

Searching around about miter saws, found another person that had the exact same problem. They never came back to update us though.

Need Help with Compound Miter Saw

We are having a new house built. I will be doing crown, building a deck, in-wall bookcase, finishing a bare basement, among other things. I think a sliding 12" is in my future, would you agree? Maybe higher capacity 10". I read about "blade deflection" on the 12" saws. I guess that is another thread though.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 10-25-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

the saw needs to be aligned or there is dust buildup inside which is throwing off the alignment of it when you set the saw on a 45 degree bevel.. this sort of thing is common on high end saws as they get older
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #13

I believe I've safely reached the limits of this saws capabilities. Got all my inside corners done very decent once I figured out how I needed to tilt and angle things to get a square cut. (Coped them).

I also noticed making this type of cut that just a little movement in my hand causes the whole motor/head assembly to move, screwing up my lines. I made it work though.

Outside corner, different story. This saw doesn't have enough depth to cut this trim vertically without bottoming out. Attempting to try to lay the boards flat and flop the blade 45* left leaves less than desirable results (curved cut). Of course, I can only flop it left, not right, so that leaves me cutting through the back of the other piece of trim.

I attempted to cut the wood standing up, with the base turned 45*, and I would just finish the last 1/2" by hand, since it would be covered by shoe molding. This works for one side (base rotated right). The other side, I have to rotate the blade other direction (left), and feed from the right. Trying to operate the saw left handed, using my pinky to flip up the guard to get the blade started on the wood, hold it steady, etc. etc. was just a nightmare. Unsafe and the instability of the motor/blade head cut a terrible line.

Feeling so aggravated and defeated right now.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #14

My friend has a DeWalt DW705 that he's letting me borrow that should do the trick.

Had to check out Craigslist, came across this. Couple weeks old, probably gone.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/tls/4128234306.html
Old 10-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #15

*sigh* I'm destined not to be able to make a straight cut it seems. The borrowed DeWalt 705. I checked for square/straight all around. Blade is square, fence is square.

Stood trim on bottom edge against fence. Straight down cut makes straight cut.

Rotate base to do a 45* miter, good up until the last little bit.

Put base back to 0*, flop head on its side to try a 45* bevel:

You can see a bit of a burn there. Blade was smoking trying to make the bevel cut as you can see. Picked up a new blade, hope it helps. If not, what the hell is going on with this thing?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-12...6#.Um18P2Tk_co