DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Miter cuts

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  joewho 
#1 · (Edited)
What is the secret to achieving a perfect miter cut? I'm putting trim around a window and I'm not happy with my cuts. I have a compound miter saw but the four pieces never seem to line up around the window correctly :(

#4 ·
To close up any gap in the face, try adjusting your compound miter box so that you "undercut" joint by about 1-2 degrees, leaving the saw set at 45 degrees. This will help the face join together before the back does, which you don't see anyway. Make sense?

If your installing casing on a door, put the head on first, then you can cut the legs a liitle too long and check your joints and make nescessary adjustments, (the legs usually end up a 1/4" to 3/8" off the subfloor. Hope this helps

#6 · (Edited)
To close up any gap in the face, try adjusting your compound miter box so that you "undercut" joint by about 1-2 degrees, leaving the saw set at 45 degrees. This will help the face join together before the back does, which you don't see anyway. Make sense?

If your installing casing on a door, put the head on first, then you can cut the legs a liitle too long and check your joints and make nescessary adjustments, (the legs usually end up a 1/4" to 3/8" off the subfloor. Hope this helps
I think this makes sense. I'm trying to locate the instruction manual for my Delta 10" Compound Miter Saw (36-075).

As far as doing doors, I'm ok. In this case it's the trim around a window.

Someone suggested that if I get the two sides cut exactly the same and the top and bottom cut exactly the same everything should fall into place?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.