Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

misplaced hinges french doors

Hello,

This is my first post, I hope someone out there can help.

The situation is that i had french doors installed in my home by a friend and when I came home to check them out I noticed that he messed up on the hinge installation. The left side is correct (hinges are 6 inches from the top or bottom) the right side he placed aboved the pencil mark for the hingge (approx 3 inches from the top or bottom). I need to move this now as it looks uneven and unprofessional. Moving the hinges isnt the problem its fixing the area damaged by the sinking. Is there any way of filling in the part of the door and frame that was sunk that isnt incredibly noticable?

Thank You for any help.

lax018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

misplaced hinges french doors

I'm going to take "sinking" to refer to the area of wood removed for the hinge(s) to sit in. This area where the wood is cut out for the hinge to sit flush is technically a "mortise". Yes, there are ways to fill in an old, or unwanted mortise provided you have a painted door jamb. I have used paint stir sticks and/or pieces of thin veneer to fill these in. Fit the replacement piece of wood in very nicely and glue it in place. Provided you have a couple of hours, use small brad nails driven in partially to hold in place while the glue sets. After the glue has fully dried, the area can be sanded down flush with the door jamb and painted over. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fixing holes, french doors, hinges