DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Misaligned drawers

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ChuckF. 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm having issues with a set of dresser drawers rubbing against each other. They're aligned properly vertically, but the ones beside each other all rub together (see pictures attached).

When I take them out, I see that I'm able to adjust the rails up and down to fix the vertical alignment, but is there anything I can do to adjust the horizontal alignment?

(I'm quite the DIY newbie, so my thanks in advance for any assistance!)

- H

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What type of rails do you have? I sure some sort of shimming could be used to shift everything away from the center.

However on closer look it appears the gap at the bottom is wider than at the top indicating the rails have shifted or worn down in the center.

#5 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I tried swapping the drawers and they were not a good fit (wouldn't close properly, hitting the sides of the unit).

The faces on the drawers had eight screws in them and there was not any give to them.

I've attached a picture of the rails and the inside of the faces.

Any other ideas?

- H

Attachments

#8 ·
Also check to see if your problem is that the frame of the dresser is racking, which can happen if the base is not sitting on something that is a plane surface. When that happens, the face of the dresser turns from a rectangle into a parallelogram, and the drawers all go out of whack. To test to see if this is your problem, set a spacer under the dresser that's about 1/8", under the right front corner. See what that does to the drawer fit. Repeat with the spacer under the left front corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.