Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

metal or wood studs?

I want to build an attic room in a barn I live in, and must build out the existing rafters slightly to accommodate my insulation I plan to install. The obvious choice would be to use 2x4 lumber, but is it possible to use metal studs instead? They would be the lighter option but I'm not sure of the holding power of drywall screws into the metal studs. I have to add extra framing to also creat enough fastening points, as the rafters run about 24" apart. Each ceiling "side" is about 14' by 12', with the peak at about 11'. Do fine thread drywall screws into metal studs hold as well as coarse thread into wood? I'm open to any other ideas, as well.

pwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

metal or wood studs?

fine thread into metal holds fine, they use them in comercial all the time. If you are worried about them not holding use a drywall adhesive along with the screw and you won't have to worry.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

metal or wood studs?

Yup, fine thread drywall screws will hold just fine.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

metal or wood studs?

Realize that you also have ways of reducing insulation space requirements.

Examples: High-density Insulation has equal value of standard batts, while using less space.

Also: adding a ridgid foam board layer into the arrangement with HD batts, can create higher R-value, using less space.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

metal or wood studs?

Fine threads are actually intended for metal application and course thread for wood. The coarse threads tend to strip out in metal and fine thread often do not pull up well in wood. Adhesive isn't commonly used on metal studs, but certainly will help the situation and ease your mind if you have any doubt as to the screws holding....
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

metal or wood studs?

I surely haven't used metal studs enough to know any better but its hard for me to feel comfortable knowing that no matter how long the screw is, only a few threads are actually doing the holding when using metal studs. I have used them in the past and the wall hasn't fallen down, its just the concept of it for me.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

metal or wood studs?

DUDE, I've hung A LOT of drywall on metal and never had a problem. Even 2 layers of 5/8" overhead (that's a lot of weight). I see your thinking, but the application works as designed........no worries. The inherent problems are the same as with wood. Water intrusion, 'ya got a problem and it could come down. Someone steps on the board from above in the attic, it's coming down. Not just under it's own weight though. Again, adhesive certainly won't hurt.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Home Improvment Contactor

Rewards Points: 25

metal or wood studs?

They got it nailed. Or screwed in this case. Fine thread and adhesive for metal. One other thing to remember is bugs don't eat metal.

Jack of most is offline   Reply With Quote