Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Green Hat

Share |

Messy stairwell needs makeup......

So, I think the only thing that I can say is..........WOW!

After pulling some trim off of the basement stairwell, and looking at this thing close up for the first time..........I am actually nervous that I may not be able to find an easy solution to some of these problems.

First off, the builders of the house somehow managed to bend the framing, which has created a nice bump in the drywall on the stairs.........I don't know if the framing was balloon built or not. Anywho......No idea what needs to happen here, other than maybe continue to float out the joint with mud and try and make it less of an eye sore.

Secondly, there are several lines that are very ugly, most notably, the one right above your head when you reach the bottom of the stairs. The left side is no big deal as there was some trim there covering up that seam between the walls of the basement and the first floor meet. I would like to do some more decorative molding on this little space right here, but not really sure what to use. Any thoughts?

Lastly.......looks like the put the sheetrock on after installing the stairs, which has left some gaps that are visible, even with carpet down on the stairs. I don't really know what to do about this as it will be almost impossible to install side skirts after the fact. I am guessing that this will be the most complicated area to tackle.

All in all, I am unable to rip out all of the sheetrock and start over doing it the right way........so I am pretty much stuck.

I don't want things to stand out as big indicators that I am trying to hide something, but at the same time I would like to cover up as much of it as possible.

Some of these angles are going to be very tricky, as I would almost like to run some trim or a molding grouping down the left side and continue it across the area at the bottom of the stairs but that seems like it will be super tricky.

Any help would mean a lot guys, as i am pretty much stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Messy stairwell needs makeup......-2011-12-18_19-21-34_203-1280x768-.jpg   Messy stairwell needs makeup......-2011-12-18_19-20-45_937-1280x768-.jpg   Messy stairwell needs makeup......-2011-12-18_19-21-16_796-1280x768-.jpg   Messy stairwell needs makeup......-2011-12-18_19-20-59_746-1280x768-.jpg  

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
STAFF

On the step out you could install a ripped down landing tread with a 1x8 against the wall under the nose of the landing tread then a run of Scotia mold against the bottom of the nose on the 1X8. For the skirt you can make a template like this

Stairway skirt board template - easy

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
On the step out you could install a ripped down landing tread with a 1x8 against the wall under the nose of the landing tread then a run of Scotia mold against the bottom of the nose on the 1X8. For the skirt you can make a template like this

Stairway skirt board template - easy
Good call on the skirts! I think that would be very easy to manage!

Question is, I wonder how the would look it they were on BOTH sides of the stairs, especially being that on the side with the step down..........the skirt would eventually tie into the step down trim.........which will be butted up against the door casing at the top of the stairs (Using plinth blocks to make this all tie together with ease). Then on the other side, it will just be the skirts going into the plinth blocks.

Too cluttered?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
STAFF

I would for sure have a skirt on the other side to balance out, it would not look right without one on each side. Sounds like you got it under control.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Green Hat

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to post pictures when I have a finished product.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills314 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-19-2011)