Measuring Inside Corners For Crown Molding - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

measuring inside corners for crown molding

My brother does home inprovements and has for many many years. He takes direction and advice from nobody, hence the problem.

When installing crown molding he cuts two scrap pieces at 45's and holds them in the corner. If the corner is out of square, he goes back and forth to the chop saw until he fudges the pieces to fit.
Example: 43.5/46.5 = 90 or 46/51 = 97

I suggest he measure the angle of the corner and divide it in half.
Example: 45/45 = 90 or 48.5/48.5 = 97

Who's right? Are we both right? Do you fudge it or do the math and it should work right the first time?

Advertisement

peciousroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Some times you can't teach and old dog new tricks. I take the same approach with the scrap pieces, only on large crowns. most of the time i cope the crown.

Advertisement

Last edited by buletbob; 07-31-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: correct spelling of cope. found by Bob
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

cope or coup? I will look this up... many are chop saw getter done types today. Sometimes it pays to take your time and do it the old way..
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

On inside corners, you shouldn't miter them anyway. They should be coped in order to have a nice tight joint that won't open up.

For outside corners I have an angle finder gauge that I lay onto the corner to get the exact angle to within a fraction of a degree. Then I use half that number.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I did mention coping, but my brother said it takes to long. Man he was pissed to no end when every corner was a nightmare to line up and it took forever to do. I just had to stand there and take his wrath, because of his own mistake. Can you tell me if I have the math right? Cutting one crown molding at 44 degrees and the other at 46 is probably not noticable to the eye, but something like 42 and 48 degrees is certainly not going to line up, because the lenth of the each cut is different. Right?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pretty much. Going to be tough to get everything lined up the way he's doing it.

Sounds like your brother won't reconsider, but coping really isn't hard once you understand how to do it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I can't help.. I don't waste time ...I always cope... crown, base, shoe ...and they always come out really nice.I know ,,, I know.... paint and caulk can make a miter look just fine, but it makes me feel good to do it the right way.

I will make 2 45's work even it it mean floating the wall out where it should be.

Grandpa said if it's worth doing..it's worth doing right... and if ya don't have time to do it right the first time ...what makes ya think you got time to do it again?

Last edited by Big Bob; 07-31-2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Grandpa
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
cope or coup? I will look this up... many are chop saw getter done types today. Sometimes it pays to take your time and do it the old way..
No need to look that one up BOB, you got me on that one ( COUP ) Your grand father had the right idea. Copeing is the only way to go. I truly believe these big box stores like Home depot, and any other that have these how to seminars are the ones to blame. along with these T.V. Shows, except three that I know. Thanks BOB
Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

Redoing all the molding in my house and using mdf crown. I am coping all of it.

REgarding it going faster if he angle cuts both piece for the insides? No!

After 2 or 3 copes, he will get the hang of it and it will go quicker. He may even get to the point where he will cope both ends of one piece for an even quicker install. I only do this on short pieces.

I find that coping is less agrivating than running up and down the basement stairs to "fine tune" the angles. Plus, I am using a very old compound miter saw that would truly require quesswork with the angles. In fact, I can not even do the angle cut on the crown (for the cope) with the saw, since the saw is too small, so I use the trusty old miter box. Yes, it takes about 45-60 seconds to cut the angle.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #10

Thanks again for your nice responses. I still need to satisfy my end of the argument. If you miter a joint (yes coping is the right way), but if you miter, should it be done using my math idea, and it should fit right, or do you just keep trimming a little at a time and hope it lines up?

In other words:
Do you take two scrap pieces and make it fit regardless of the angles?

or

Do you, do the math, measure the angle, divide it in half, and bam it fits!
(OK, minor adjustments may be needed)(But only minor ones)

Last edited by peciousroy; 07-31-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 622

If I didn't cope, I'd take an adjustable bevel square and set it in the corner. Put the square on your chop saw, turn the saw to read the angle, divide by 2 reset the saw and cut.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

for me, it would depend on the material, and the finish. If painted or the material is something like mdf, then I would just get close and fill it in, then paint.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #13

this is the question.we always use an angle finder. perfect fit everytime....almost.as for coping if using wood moulding coping looks best. if m.d.f. miters are better it is difficult to achieve a decent cope as the product tends to chip out even with the best blade.we miter and use a quality adhesive on the joint so when the m.d.f. moves as it will, the joint has never separated and the no nails adhesive fills the hairline miter perfectly so after painting it is completely invisible and stays that way
hmax35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmax35 View Post
this is the question.we always use an angle finder. perfect fit everytime....almost.as for coping if using wood moulding coping looks best. if m.d.f. miters are better it is difficult to achieve a decent cope as the product tends to chip out even with the best blade.we miter and use a quality adhesive on the joint so when the m.d.f. moves as it will, the joint has never separated and the no nails adhesive fills the hairline miter perfectly so after painting it is completely invisible and stays that way
I agree with you.

Advertisement