Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Matching finish of oak trim

My house has oak trim that has a golden finish to it. The person at the paint counter gave me a Crystal Clear polycrylic finish from min wax. My new unfinished trim has a bit of red tint to it. I just wonder if i need a finish with a tint to get close to my existing trim.

New trim is going in a new area and wont butt up against the old, just want it in the ballpark.thanks

toobhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Were you sold a stain and poly finish in one? Do not open the can. Take it back.

Your new trim is not oak? Is it something like pine or fir? Hope you saved scraps.

Buy little tiny cans of color you think might work. Apply it and wipe it off to your scraps. Try gel stain too if you feel more comfortable.

When you like the color you experimented with, apply a couple coats of poly in your choice of sheens.

By the way, if the new woodwork is something soft like pine? You need to seal it, to a point, with some sort pre-stain sealer else the wood will soak in the stain like a sponge.

Hope I don't make it seem daunting. It is fun thinking about it now that I do not have to do it for living anymore.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

is the new trim stained or is it red oak as opposed to white oak
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 506

Tung oil gives oak a nice golden tint. Like sdsester said, try it on a scrap first.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

Thanks all. Several pics below to try to explain what i have and what i am going for.

I haven't purchased trim yet, just sourced it. Below is a pic of it, i hope this shows the color well enough, i just snapped the pic so i would remember the price.

Below is a pic of existing trim, looks golden to me. Pic was taken in daylight

Below is a piece of the trim the original home owner left. It is dusty and what not but backside is unfinished and looks like the same color as trim i am going to purchase. The finished side matches the stuff in the rest of the house. the pic looks darker since there was no daylight in the picture.

Here is the finish

Do you think this is white oak? It did not say and to be honest i am ignorant to the fact there is red and white oak lol! Does the white require stain to get the golden color?

Last edited by toobhed; 04-11-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #6

The guy at the building supply store gave me some advice. He said red oak is most common trim and they usually don't call it "red oak" just "oak". White oak is more expensive and at this place at least is a special order item.

So anyway back to finish, the "natural" color stain seems to match pretty close and a couple coats of polyurethane should do the trick. What i have been told is to use oil based stain and polyurethane. The theory is that oil based products will penetrate better and dry slower and therefore a smoother finish. Hope this is all true because this is more work with all of the extra prep and steps. Wish i could use an all in one product but for the cost of oak trim there is no sense cutting corners now.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

You have a few things going on I think. First, your existing trim is white oak and what you have sourced is red oak. You're going to have better luck matching what you have if you order the white.

Second, all varnishes and oil-based polyurethanes yellow to varying degrees with age. If the existing trim appears more "golden" it may be the result of this change in the color of the coating (and pictures are never accurate so I'm not going to render an opinion on whether this is the case for you or not).

Oil based polyurethane does tend to level better on floors but I'm not sure that it's going to give you that much of a better finish on trim, although it will be a bit harder and more durable. It does tend to dry with a warmer luster to it so it will probably help get closer to what you're looking for from a hue standpoint, however.

If it were me I would buy a few pieces of oak and one or two stains and do some test pieces.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,054

It may be just the picture but to me the picture of the trim in the barrel looks like for some reason there's a narrow section that was finger jointed. That would really show up when finishing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote