Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #1

Share |

Masonite pre hung doors sticking hot weather

I bought and hung 7 Masonite pre hung doors from Home Depot and two are sticking.The only thing that has changed out here in calif is the weather has become hotter.I was thinking the doors expanded or maybe the whole house.I am thinking I should have given these doors more clearance when I shimmed them. I didn't shim them any different than the other 5 pre hung doors and they are fine. I figure I will adjust the shims instead of trying to trim doors and ruin them.One of the doors would not even close but once the weather cooled down it was better but not the way it was in the beginning right after I installed them. Any ideas?

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

The doors themselves expanded with the hot weather and higher humidity. The masonite doors will expand slightly, especially so, if you did not remove them from their frame and paint every side of them (top and bottom too).
You are simply going to have to either adjust the frame's installation (on the two problematic doors), or slightly sand down the edge. Remember to re-paint the edge, if you opt to sand that edge.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Licensed Contractor

Warmer air can hold higher amounts of moisture, so although you are in a fairly dry climate, I think the increase in temperature increased the humidity content, causing the doors to expand.
At this point, you have two options: either remove the trim (if installed) and adjust the jambs to provide an adequat gap, or remove the door from its hinges and modify it to fit. If adjust a Masonite door itself, I will use either a power plane if the amount to be removed is small (or a very sharp smoothing plane), or a Festool saw/guide setup to remove larger amounts from the whole edge/top/bottom.
Either method will accomplish the same thing - an adequate gap - and the one you choose is simply a function of how comfortable and equipped you are to do both procedures.
As the poster indicated above, the doors should be primed on all 6 surfaces, so if you elect to work the door, prime the machined surfaces afterwards.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #4

Adjusting the jambs may be the best option,especially since you know ,that you have adequate room to re-adjust the shims. If you have to sand the edge slightly,that is ok.

But , if the edge needs more than slight sanding ,it would be best to remove the material from the hinge side of the door ,so that the backset of the knob is not diminished and the latch will still fit correctly. You may have to make the mortise for the hinges a little deeper with a chisel after that.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I Would agree with adjusting the jamb. MASONITE states that the doors must be stored in there intended environment for 48hrs before installing them. this way the doors and jamb can acclimate. YES paint all six sides.
Hint if you only painted 4 sides adjust the jambs so the door has about 1/16 or just clears the jamb. then paint the remaining two sides. this way when the door looses its humidity the reveal will be just right. and not exposing the outer edge of the door stop on the strike side, which I have seen. Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote