Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Masonite front door hard to open and close

Hi all. A couple weeks ago I had a Masonite fiberglass 3/4 glass entry door installed. from the start the door was a bit hard to open and close and wasn't sealing evenly. I adjusted the striker plates and the door finally started to seal correctly but the door is still hard to open and close.

following the instructions I attempted to adjust the threshold but come to find out, its already at its lowest setting. i've double checked square, level, and plum and best i can tell the door is in correct.

short of taking out the door (which isn't an option) any ideas on how I could remedy this situation.

I have to say, all said and done, I'm kind of disappointed in the door considering it was about $1000. I know it's not the most expensive door out there but I was hoping for a bit more. We opted for the rot free frame which increased the cost a bit. the thing i don't like the most is the threshold. the adjustable part is plastic and its colored to look like fake wood. this fake wood plastic also continues to under the sidelight and is viewable from the outside. it just makes the door look very very cheap. this piece is also not very durable. the door has only been for about 2 weeks and it's already scratched and gouged, I can only imagine what it will look like years from now.

My first instinct was to get a pella or higher quality door but it just wasn't in the budget.

any ideas on how to adjust the door would be greatly appreciated. thanks all.
-Derek-

moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

where is it 'sticking'?

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
where is it 'sticking'?
haha. all that ranting and i didn't say where. it's sticking at the bottom where the weather stripping meets the adjustable threshold.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check the gap around the door. I am guessing it is not even, probably open at latch side top and tight at latch side upper. There should be long screws in the top and middle hinges, all the way into the house framing. They probably need to be tightened up so the gap is uniform. Get the gap uniform and the door should not stick.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the door is plumb, square and level, I'm a little perplexed. If It's binding at the bottom, I'd look at a domed threshhold.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,654

With the door closed look at the top of your door, is the margin from the top of the door and the door jamb the same or is the margin bigger at one side. Look at the hinge side of the door with the door closed. is there a gap between the door and the jamb at the hinges? Let us know.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote