Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Makita Oscillating tool?

Will Makita market a "Multimaster" like tool any time soon?

mossana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
uva uvam videndo variafit

Makita Oscillating tool?

I don't know. Why don't you call them and find out?

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

Makita Oscillating tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I don't know. Why don't you call them and find out?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Makita Oscillating tool?

Uhh, yeah....

I called Makita @ 714-522-8088. I spoke to 3 customer service people, and two technical support reps, many claiming over 13 years with the company.

They could barely spell "Oscillating" and had no idea what any of the competing Oscillating tool products were from Fein, Dremel, Rockwell, etc.

Folks, what we need is someone to talk with a "front line" marketing rep which works the Makita booth at one of the major tool shows across the country.

For now, I don't see any Oscillating tool coming from Makita. Someone please tell me I am wrong so I can plan my purchase since I like Makita and wanted to stick with their batteries.

Aside from the Fein cordless model @ ~$400, I am not seeing consistent glowing reviews for cordless Oscillating tools. This appears to be related to the high cost of the short-lived blades and short battery lives.

I guess you get what you pay for.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Makita Oscillating tool?

I'm pretty happy with the Sears Craftsman model. And their blades are way, way, less expensive than many of the others.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #6

Makita Oscillating tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
Uhh, yeah....

I called Makita @ 714-522-8088. I spoke to 3 customer service people, and two technical support reps, many claiming over 13 years with the company.

They could barely spell "Oscillating" and had no idea what any of the competing Oscillating tool products were from Fein, Dremel, Rockwell, etc.

Folks, what we need is someone to talk with a "front line" marketing rep which works the Makita booth at one of the major tool shows across the country.

For now, I don't see any Oscillating tool coming from Makita. Someone please tell me I am wrong so I can plan my purchase since I like Makita and wanted to stick with their batteries.

Aside from the Fein cordless model @ ~$400, I am not seeing consistent glowing reviews for cordless Oscillating tools. This appears to be related to the high cost of the short-lived blades and short battery lives.

I guess you get what you pay for.
I got a dremel really cheap but then bought a rockwell. Night and day difference. Rockwell is better built and doesn't heat up like the dremel. I wouldn't buy a cordless model as the batteries don't hold up very long.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Makita Oscillating tool?

I think Makita has fallen back on their old ways. About 25 years ago, they pretty much had the market covered with their cordless drills. Then they waited about 15 years, and let everyone else pass them, before they improved the design.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

Makita Oscillating tool?

Ok, decided to wait a few hours and call back.

This time I got some more informed people. Looks like Makita has no plans to produce an oscillating tool, for sure not in the USA. This is because Makita-USA's cordless focus is on 18v battery applications which are too big for an Oscillating Tool [according to the Makita-USA product manager]. Makita in japan does have a 12v cordless system so they may get an oscillating tool, but not in the USA anytime soon.

I just picked up the latest Rockwell 12v cordless Sonic Oscillating Tool at an Osh w/free drill/driver for cheap so now I know I'll stick with what I have.

flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote