Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Lord of Slums

Share |

Making your own 4 inch tongue and grove

I would like to put a 13 foot wall across my basement. I do not want to use drywall. I like the look of vertical hung 4 inch tongue and grove boards with a stain. I have been pricing 4 inch t$ g boards and am not happy with the price for pine. I do not like the look of 8 or 10 inch. What is the most budget friendly way to make a board to cover the wall? I have a router table, can I make my own? Any ideas on a wood wall covering?

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Mod

It doesn't get much cheaper than pine. Most of the pine t&g I see is either 3 or 5 exposure. Not sure you would really save much making your own unless you already have the wood.

I paid about $140 for my t&g router bit set and that was about ten years ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
JOATMON

Have you priced out decent pine? 3/4" clear pine will most likely cost you more than the T&G....then toss in your labor....it becomes a no brainer....

Have you called a lumber yard to get their prices?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

You can make T&G without much trouble, though you do lose about 1/2 of the board width to do it so you'd keep in mind that 12' worth of raw board width might wind up being like 11' which means you'd have to factor in the cost of buying say 3 or 4 more boards to get the width back you lost.

A router works fine, but you'd have to go and spend the money for a pair of router bits and either way you go will cost you more than the ready made boards, so unless you plan to do a lot or more projects it would be silly to spend the money on cutters or router bits for a small one time project.

You can rough it on a table saw if you have one, or the router table would work too- cutting a 1/4" slot out IF the boards are nice and straight, if they have warps etc it's a real pain. Then you'd want to bevel the visible edge on the board with the tongue after cutting that.
Frankly I think it would a big pain doing it this way, and the success depends a lot on how flat the boards are.

A poor man's method that might be easier but not nearly as nice- just make a table saw cut on the board laid flat, make a 1/2" deep x 1/8" wide cut on both facing edges of the boards, when laid up edge to edge there will be a 1/4" wide gap line but wood touching in the back, you could put a small bevel if you have a bit, not pretty but for the garage it's probably good enough.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-29-2013 at 12:36 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
JOATMON

I'm getting ready to buy a bunch of T&G for the overhang of my addition. I was at Home Depot last night....$0.72/ft for 5" planks.

I called my local lumber yard.....$0.51/ft for spruce.

Not even close to worth the time to try and do it myself.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Roofmaster

I would not use spruce. I warps and twists if you look at it funny. I think the OP needs T&G Knotty Pine.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Lord of Slums

I will just have to keep looking until I can find a deal on some 4 inch t&g. I have not called the local lumber yard yet. I want to mount the boards to a 2x4 16 oc framed wall. How should the wall be framed, I figure I should block the middle of the wall with 2x6. I want to nail a straight pattern, even if it will not show the nail heads.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

You'll either need several rows of blocking between the studs or furring strips nailed across. Spruce T&G might be OK if it's well nailed, but would be paint grade only. Probably lots of tear outs. Spruce is almost never used where it is exposed.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote