Making A Faux Pantry/secret Door- Need Advice - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Mom to Many, Wife of 2

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to poorenspirit
Question

Making a faux pantry/secret door- Need Advice

We are remodeling and placing a passage way from our kitchen into a newly constructed laundry area in our garage. We want to place a door up to make a distinctive room, however since we already have two doors in the kitchen (the back and the door that leads to the garage) we are opting to make the final door more similar to our existing cabinetry.

We are planning to construct a faux pantry. We plan to use:

_four of the same sized pantry doors measuring 40 inches a door

_plywood

_cabinetry veneer

_crown moulding

Most purchased from Habitat Homestore very cheap.

1. Since we are creating an opening into a load bearing wall, we must place a header up, then two support studs. I am choosing 2x10s and allowing them to protrude from the wall at least 5-6 inches to attach the pantry doors to them. The doors will extend above the opening and then veneer will be place on exposed studs. And crown moulding will be attached to the studs and appear to be attached to the doors in front of it. A faux toe kick (if that's whatcha call it) will be placed on the doors to give the appearance of a full pantry.

2) We will mount solid wood swinging doors (with special door hinges) as regular doors, then paint the fronts to match existing cabinetry or place regular cabinet doors on the solid doors.

My question is:

Does this sound like a good plan?

Please make suggestions. We are by no means professed experts, just average DIYers.

Advertisement

Last edited by poorenspirit; 03-26-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: change of plans
poorenspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorenspirit View Post
We are remodeling and placing a passage way from our kitchen into a newly constructed laundry area in our garage. We want to place a door up to make a distinctive room, however since we already have two doors in the kitchen (the back and the door that leads to the garage) we are opting to make the final door more similar to our existing cabinetry.

We are planning to construct a faux pantry. We plan to use:

_four of the same sized pantry doors measuring 40 inches a door

_plywood

_cabinetry veneer

_crown moulding

Most purchased from Habitat Homestore very cheap.

1. We will mount (with regular door hinges) the doors onto the plywood in two sections (two doors vertically placed on each side, so the doors will open French door style)using adhesive and tacking brads. A lip will be left on one vertical side to close any gap between the two sides.

2. Since we are creating an opening into a load bearing wall, I must place a header up, then two support studs. I am choosing 2x10 or 12s and allowing them to protrude from the wall at least 6 inches to attach the pantry doors to them. The doors will extend above the opening and then veneer will be place on exposed plywood and studs. And crown moulding will be attached to the studs and appear to be attached to the doors in front of it. A faux toe kick (if that's whatcha call it) will be placed on the doors to give the appearance of a full pantry.

My question is:

Does this sound like a good plan?

Please make suggestions. We are by no means professed experts, just average DIYers.
Are you planning to make a laundry room door that looks like a door to a pantry?
Or go you mean it would be a swing out pantry, that would allow access to the laundry room?

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

yeah, sorry - I am confused as to the question.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

You just make it look like a pantry cabinet. If you want, you can put a plain door there, because one more is not going to make a difference, or just use a Pocket door, if you do not want one to swing in or out of the space.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
poorenspirit (03-11-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Mom to Many, Wife of 2

I very much like the secret door concept and also the ability for the door to double as a storage for mops, brooms, etc.

Yes, it will lead into the laundry room. At this point, I have plans to allow it to open like a French door in toward the kitchen. I am taking into consideration that one day appliances will be replaced by someone, whether me or future owners. Opening toward the kitchen will help get them out easier as well as making it easy to take laundry out.

My question is, does this sound like a structurally sound plan to proceed with the project as I have described?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Mom to Many, Wife of 2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Are you planning to make a laundry room door that looks like a door to a pantry?
Or go you mean it would be a swing out pantry, that would allow access to the laundry room?
I want to make it look like a shallow pantry, but it will be essentially be double doors with a broom/mop holder on back and a passage into the laundry room.

Advertisement

Tags
faux door , load-bearing wall , pantry , remodel kitchen , secret door