Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

mahogany t&g porch floor, trim, stairs questions

sorry to start a new threat, but the old one is, well, old, and i wasn't sure i'd get any replies.

so: getting ready to lay a new mahog. floor down on my porch which has a roof over it. i'm using 5/4X 4 tongue and groove.

the question is. when i go to put the stairs back in, should i change the treads to mahogany so that they match? if so, what do i buy? just a 5/4 slab of mahog, non t&g?

would i want one full tread, or two pieces with a little gap in the middle for better drainage?

now that i've gone and done the mahog, should my trim boards around the lattice also be mahogany? fir? something else that might look close to mahogany?

finally, any recommendations for making my own lattice?

i want it to be 1/2" like the old stuff i took off.
at first i was thinking cedar, but given the price, maybe fir? keep it natural, just oil it or something? get a piece of 5/4, rip it in half edgewise, then just rip 1/2" strips?

thanks to all!
ben

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

mahogany t&g porch floor, trim, stairs questions

You could consider the 5/4 X 4 straight edge. with an 1/8" gap. the full board will cost a lot more,
When i make my lattice I rip clear cedar 3/8" thick by what ever I am matching. we use a lot of the koma board product for our trim because of the close location of the ground. Snow and water splash. the mahogany and the white koma board highlights the darker wood,
just my suggestion, BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote