Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #1

Share |

Loose stairs

Can someone give me a better idea then what I came up with that can fix this.

Only thing I can think of is to put a bar across and tighten the bolts to hopefully bring the sides closer together.

I know that may not be clear, so please be patient with me here.

As you can see the sides of the steps has separated. Some steps are bouncy when I go up or down the stairs while other seem to be fine. Looking at the rear, all should be bouncy or fallen thru. The side nails seem to stop the fall thru.

What I have in mind to try and fix this, is to drill holes every other step on both of the side wood(sorry, I don't know the name of them), the wood with the slits in them that the stair fits into.

I will drill a hole just below each step, run a metal bar that goes thru and put bolts on both sides and slowly tighten them, and hopefully that would pull it back into place.

Also,

No the red stick is not holding anything up, I put it there to maybe give me an idea of jacking up the stairs abit to fit back into place.
Attached Thumbnails
Loose stairs-dscn0095.jpg   Loose stairs-dscn0096.jpg  

Last edited by HAMP; 02-09-2011 at 04:10 AM.
HAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #2

Loose stairs

Here is what the metal bar I was talking about looks like.

Maybe larger washers maybe needed?
Attached Thumbnails
Loose stairs-dscn0099.jpg   Loose stairs-dscn0100.jpg   Loose stairs-dscn0101.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #3

Loose stairs

Not sure what I am looking at. There should be support stringers under the steps. I only see framing on the sides. What is supporting the steps???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Loose stairs

The threaded rod will work fine. I've used it a few times for the same reason. These treads and risers usually have shims under and behind them to hold the components tight to the surface. The dadoes where they fit into will have a space to tap in the shims. If your stringers are dadoed to the exact profile of the tread and riser, you have no shims.
If you did have shims, they're probably on the floor by now.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
STAFF

Loose stairs

I don't see any dadoes, all I see is treads and risers pulled away from the stringers. These steps were constructed wrong and need to be constructed correctly. If left as are they will at some point in time come further apart. They are unsafe from what I am seeing but then it is hard to tell what I am seeing.

It looks like the treads are nailed to the stringers from the outside of the stringers. It looks like the treads are sitting way too far back on the stringer also. The spaces between the risers and stringers was built that way as the risers are shorter than the treads. If this were mine I would tear it all out and build it the right way, but that may not be an option for you.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

Loose stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
If this were mine I would tear it all out and build it the right way.
I agree, they should be replaced...
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #7

Loose stairs

Thanks for all the replies, but I have a small issues with them.
I do not understand most of the terms being used. Iím a Network Admin(computers) and
I can do a little work around the house.

I think if I knew what the terms meant, I could explain the picture better with using the terms. Possibly have better pics also

So I will educate myself on the terms and report back, so we are on the same page.

Words Iím not sure of:

Stringers:

Treads:

Risers:

Shims:

Dadoes:

To Ron6519,

It does look like it will work that way, I just wanted to make sure if I had other options. Not ready to pull it all out and rebuild it. When the times comes to pull it all out and rebuild, it will not be a DIY project.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
DIY staff

Loose stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
Thanks for all the replies, but I have a small issues with them.
I do not understand most of the terms being used.

Words Iím not sure of:

Stringers:

Treads:

Risers:

Shims:

Dadoes:

t.
Stringers---the long saw toothed part that holds up the treads an risers

On fancy stairs the stringer is not cut into a saw tooth --instead the stringer has saw tooth groves cut into it with a router (dadoed into the stringer)

Treads are the part you walk on--

risers are the "toe kick" part that is between the treads--
BigJim (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Stair builder

Loose stairs

It appears that those are housed stringers, which would explain the lack of cut carriages. From the pic they look to have been poorly made and are now not in the mortices. If by using the all-thread you can get them back into the mortices then you MIGHT be alright. Right now you have a serious safety concern. I would suggest that you replace them as soon as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Loose stairs-dscf0787.jpg   Loose stairs-dscf0826.jpg  
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #10

Loose stairs

Take another picture from the front (carpet) side of the stringer (side supporting wood). It appears the dado is only wide enough for the tread that each have 2 large nails instead of a shim......

Thanks...

Gary
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Stair builder

Loose stairs

They can be built in that manner but they are a real pain to do. The mortise has to be exact. Here is one I built which is a free standing staircase with the underside exposed. I used GRK lag screws into each tread so they wouldn't come apart.

I took a harder look at your pic. It appears that these are basement stairs which were not designed to have risers- note the plywood short of the end of the treads. It looks like NONE of the treads are in their mortises. Put some bracing under those stairs as quickly as you can, do NOT continue to use them without bracing.
Attached Thumbnails
Loose stairs-dscf2158.jpg   Loose stairs-dscf2159.jpg  

Last edited by Keith Mathewson; 02-09-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #12

Loose stairs

Based on oh’mike definition

My threads are 35in wide
My stringers has spread to 35in apart
I have not cut grooves for the risers, and they seem to be there only for
the carpet.

As requested by ‘GBR in WA’, pics of the front. OMG, I didn’t think to do
This before, but seeing them this way, really scares me now.

These are two different steps, the last two pic are of the same step
Attached Thumbnails
Loose stairs-dscn0102.jpg   Loose stairs-dscn0103.jpg   Loose stairs-dscn0104.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #13

Loose stairs

YIKES! As KM said, don't use them and get some temporary support under them now. Those old 20d nails are almost at the ends..... then it will come down. You may be able to pull them together with the all-thread bar, if no access behind the stringers to wedge them together. The stringer/wall on one or both sides must have moved away to create the big gaps. Long screws (structural) from Simpsons, or Timbertech screws at the box store would work, pre-drill first, if accessible. Start at the bottom and work up.

Gary
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #14

Loose stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
YIKES! As KM said, don't use them and get some temporary support under them now. Those old 20d nails are almost at the ends..... then it will come down. You may be able to pull them together with the all-thread bar, if no access behind the stringers to wedge them together. The stringer/wall on one or both sides must have moved away to create the big gaps. Long screws (structural) from Simpsons, or Timbertech screws at the box store would work, pre-drill first, if accessible. Start at the bottom and work up.

Gary
I know, since I took the pics from the top, that is so damn scary now!
I have to try and use the bar and pull them together for now. I'm looking at it and I'm wondering how did they move apart like that.

I can get behind it, and really only work with the top part. It's odd how the bottom step seem solid.

Trying to figure out this problem, would you believe something else has come up. My darn heater will not stay going. I had to post in the HVAC thread to hopefully get some help. It's getting cold.... lol
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #15
STAFF

Loose stairs

I do finally see the dadoes, and my stars, I don't see why the stairs haven't fell yet. I would be very careful going down those stairs and like Gary said get some support under them as soon as possible.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote