Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Share |

loose hinges

Hello,
Recently replaced 1960's hollow core doors with solid oak veneer doors. The old doors only had 2 hinges and the installer used only two hinges as well.
Guess what, the hinges are loose and I can't tighten them. Should I install longer screws or bigger screws?
Is there anything I can plug the holes with? I have tried using small pieces of wood to make the screws tight, but that only works for a few opening/ closings then loose again.

Thanks for any advice.

nbmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

loose hinges

Plugging the holes with oak slivers and glue is what I would first do. After that I would go with at least 2" or 2 1/2" screws. It is hard to find brass screws and I hate them anyway, so I spray paint the heads of drywall or deck screws to the hinge color and use them. I usually drill a pilot hole so the screw will go in without tearing up the head. This will anchor the hinge and door jamb to the stud. Just be careful not to drive in the screw too tight or it will shift the door and jamb. I would plug the holes and use short screws on the holes near the pin and only use one long screw in one of the holes near the edge of the hinge. Those holes are sure to hit a stud. The others have a chance of hitting drywall. It is important for a solid core door to put at least one long screw in the top hinge to anchor everything to the stud. Gravity becomes a big factor with an 80 lb. door. A long screw in the bottom hinge will help stabilize the racking effect when the weight of the door is hanging in the open position.

Last edited by MNsawyergp; 02-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

loose hinges

There are also 1/4" dia. x 1/2" lg metal threaded inserts that have a very coarse thread on the outside and a machine screw thread on the inside. They grab a lot more wood so they should resist pullout forces better.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #4

loose hinges

Those inserts won't work very well in door jambs that are particle board core. The big threads will just tear out the particle board. That's why the screws are loose in the first place.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MNsawyergp For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Stair builder

loose hinges

Are we assuming that the hinges are pulling loose from just the jambs and not the doors as well?

Are the hinges rated for that load and did the doors come pre-mortised?

Are the right size screws being used or did someone just use what they had?

If everything else is correct you can take hardwood dowel and a corresponding drill bit and drill out the screw holes and insert pieces of dowel, then using a Vix bit drill new holes.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

loose hinges

If it's the screws in the jambs just use the same gauge screw just far longer. Far less work and will work 100 % of the time.
He should have added an extra hindge for a heaver door.
No cheap insert is going to work.
You never want to use a bigger diam. screw, It will not sit flush with the counter sink in the hindge and may stop the door from closing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

loose hinges

Making a jamb out of particle board is asking for trouble.
I'd try to use these somehow but you'll have to remove the casing.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...Hcre0QG866yWBA
Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

loose hinges

Longer screws might be worth it a try but may not work since the wood frame perimeter of the door isn't too wide. Fill the holes with dowels otherwise as described previously.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #9

loose hinges

???

Grainger sells very long skinny drill bits.
Get any 0.032" dia. stiff metal rod, drill a perfectly aligned hole through the jamb and through the screw, use the rod as a sort of anti-rotation cotter pin, caulk the jamb hole.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #10

loose hinges

Yes you can fill the holes, longer screws should work well also, just make sure not to pull the doorframe out of whack.

Always a good idea to add a middle hinge as well when going from a hollow to solid core door.

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote