Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for some guidance one making a recessed pilaster

I'm looking to add some more detail to my dining room entrance. The room has 9 foot ceilings with an 8hx9w opening. I would like to do something like what is pictured below (the pilaster portion, I already have baseboards in).
I need help with how to execute this though. I'm guessing I will need a piece of pine and some router bits to shape it. Can someone (or multiple someones) give me a step by step on how to make this i.e. what kind of bit I would need for my router, any detail tricks of the trade. I would really appreciate it!

Jason

stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

1 X 4 pine with base cap on the inside is an easy way to do it.
http://mouldingsunlimited.net/base_cap

Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
DIY staff

What tools do you own?

Stock trim will make the job easier---see if you have a millwork supplier near by---

I would think that a router and router table ,along with a surface planer would give you the profile you require-----with the router cut so close to the edge---hand held cutting will be a problem---perhaps an edge guide could do the job----but some waste will occur--
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

I'm pretty well stocked with tools. Only real big piece of equipment I dot own is a planer.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

I would make it with mdf buy a 4x8 sheet and rip all the pieces on the table saw.
Is simply done in layers of material to make it.

Take a strip of mdf, then rip the 1"x2" picture frame strips, imagine this on the flat strip.
Then buy some 3/4" cove molding and put inside of the picture frame.
You can see how the pilaster is made.

The plinth block is pretty simple also. Lets pretend we want to make a 6"x6" column.
I want the plinth block at 12" high.
You will need to rip two sides at 6" and a front and back at 4 1/2". Take the back and attach it to the wall, making sure is level. Glue and nail the other 3 sides together, then attach to the back that is attached to the wall.
Then make a square top to sit on the box for the plinth block. Use a router with a 3/4" round over bit on top and bottom to create it.
Remember that will be adding 3/4" cove to it on top and bottom.

Now make the pilaster in the same way, attaching the back to the wall sitting on the plinth block. Remember you will add another layer of 3/4" to it for the picture frame, so do the math and subtract 3/4" so it will be the same when finished.

These are all straight cuts, you use the router on the plinth block and you shop around for cove molding you like.
The mdf is easy to work with, will use wood putty and sand just like real wood, you can cut it to any size you want, will not have knots and splits or warp as it dries.
I would bet your photo was made with mdf also.

This just gives you the concept of what and how they did it, you can adjust your dimensions and do you want it on 3 sides or just the front, endless possibilities.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
I would make it with mdf buy a 4x8 sheet and rip all the pieces on the table saw.
Is simply done in layers of material to make it.

Take a strip of mdf, then rip the 1"x2" picture frame strips, imagine this on the flat strip.
Then buy some 3/4" cove molding and put inside of the picture frame.
You can see how the pilaster is made.

The plinth block is pretty simple also. Lets pretend we want to make a 6"x6" column.
I want the plinth block at 12" high.
You will need to rip two sides at 6" and a front and back at 4 1/2". Take the back and attach it to the wall, making sure is level. Glue and nail the other 3 sides together, then attach to the back that is attached to the wall.
Then make a square top to sit on the box for the plinth block. Use a router with a 3/4" round over bit on top and bottom to create it.
Remember that will be adding 3/4" cove to it on top and bottom.

Now make the pilaster in the same way, attaching the back to the wall sitting on the plinth block. Remember you will add another layer of 3/4" to it for the picture frame, so do the math and subtract 3/4" so it will be the same when finished.

These are all straight cuts, you use the router on the plinth block and you shop around for cove molding you like.
The mdf is easy to work with, will use wood putty and sand just like real wood, you can cut it to any size you want, will not have knots and splits or warp as it dries.
I would bet your photo was made with mdf also.

This just gives you the concept of what and how they did it, you can adjust your dimensions and do you want it on 3 sides or just the front, endless possibilities.
Good info! I appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

Is fun stuff, just endless of what you can do with it.
With a 9' opening, you could build your columns on the wall, come out 18" - 24" build full 4 sided columns.
Build a 1/2 wall about 35" up with the same techniques with a flat panel, then a picture frame of desired width and molding. Make a plant shelf top for both sides.
And something similar for the top on both sides and something for the entryway in between the post.
Or you could stop the post 16" short and build a solid wider top all the way across crown molding to the ceiling to tie it in.
You end up with a door way of 3', 4', 5', whatever you want with open windows on either side. It is still open, but just closed enough to separate the two rooms and add mystery of what is on the other side.

You can add a gentle arch in the entryway, but gets more tricky to buy and trim out the picture frame panels.
If you can dream it, you can build it with mdf. Would be many of the same techniques to use real wood. You could use cherry for example and stain it, You need to be a real carpenter for this, is no forgiveness.
With mdf, is all paint grade, caulk and putty. You can repair any mistakes you make, and is not expensive hardwood you are wasting.
It is very time consuming and that makes it very expensive for the average home owner, and is a contemporary taste. If you like it, can get your hands dirty and build it yourself. Is a very doable project.
Let us know how it goes, and search for photos on google for more ideas.