Looking For Opinions, Ideas On Insulating An Older Brick Home Under Rehab - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Looking for opinions, ideas on insulating an older brick home under rehab

I have a bathroom ripped up to the studs and brick exterior wall. I'm wondering what the best way is to insulate the exterior wall in this room. I have taken the window out, bricked it in and will be running an exhaust fan. I'm trying to figure out the best way to build out a small wall of 2x3s or 2x2s on the exterior wall, to allow for a little bit of insulation... any ideas?

thanks

Advertisement

brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhammer View Post
I have a bathroom ripped up to the studs and brick exterior wall. I'm wondering what the best way is to insulate the exterior wall in this room. I have taken the window out, bricked it in and will be running an exhaust fan. I'm trying to figure out the best way to build out a small wall of 2x3s or 2x2s on the exterior wall, to allow for a little bit of insulation... any ideas?

thanks
There are a lot of factors that weigh in on this choice. If it was my bathroom, my first choice would be to stud in & insulate regular 2x4 walls. If that's too thick, consider attaching firring strips to the existing wall, adhering polystyrene insulation between the strips, and drywalling over that.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

The wall that needs the insulation is the wall that the 60" length of the tub will back up to. A 2x4 wall will probably be a little on the fat side.
brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote