DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Looking for good hinge/arms

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  ssgtjoenunez 
#1 ·
So I'm not even sure what you call these things but here goes.

I built a custom low profile desk in the office of my laundromat. The office is very narrow so space is at a premium. The idea is to close the desk up when not in use to save space.

I got some folding "arms" to lock the door open when its down. First they are too small and don't reach out into the table top enough. This causes the table top to wiggle and appear unstable. Second they are the fold out kind and have to be locked open and unlocked to close the desk. It's cumbersome at best.

I'm looking for some help finding better options. I've thought of the gas style shocks (for lack of their correct name) that would also help close it when it is being pushed shut.

Basically I'm hoping someone here can help me so I can 1) stabilize the table top and 2) find a better opening and closing mechanism.

I've got more pictures if that would help.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How thick is it?
I think I would use a piano hinge for one thing.
A simple cheap fix would be to use two pieces of chain that are attached out toward end of the door. Like on a tail gate on a truck.

#3 ·
I built a custom low profile desk in the office of my laundromat.
I got some folding "arms" to lock the door open when its down.
I'm looking for some help finding better options.
Go in the other direction.
1) Make that "table" into a security cover that will hinge UP instead.
2) Make a heavier table that hinges from underneath the box...
maybe with another stick to prop against the wall for stability.

#5 ·
TarheelTerp said:
Go in the other direction.
1) Make that "table" into a security cover that will hinge UP instead.
2) Make a heavier table that hinges from underneath the box...
maybe with another stick to prop against the wall for stability.
Space is an issue already so this really provides the best possible solution. I'm pretty comfortable with the design, just looking for some ideas on how to open/close better while stabilizing the table top.

#9 ·
Man this was exactly what I was looking for! I ordered two pneumatic lifts that will eliminate the need for a hasp to hold the cabinet shut.

I also took someone else's advice and purchased a piano hinge as well.

I'm also taking someone else's advice and replacing the table top with 3/4" vice the 1/2" thats there now.

I have to take the front panel and hardware off anyway to paint the unit so I'll tear it down, paint it and then install the new hardware for a finished product.

I'll post some pictures of it when its all said and done.
Thanks everyone for the expert advice!

#10 ·
I'm not seeing how a pneumatic lift is going to do you any good.
It would have to hindge from the top to make it work.
Picture a truck cap. (topper) It holds the door open.
For that door to stay closed on it's own the box should have been built so the sides were at an angle. And the bottom wider then the top.

#11 ·
The lifts I bought can be applied for doors that open up and those that open down. I bought two, one for each side. They can be set to hold the door open and to assist on the close. A hasp might be needed still but I'm hoping not. Either way I've got to take down the hardware to paint anyway so I can put the new hardware on and see which I like better. I'm already replacing the table top so I can experiment with the current table top with screwing this and making holes to figure out how I want it to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.