Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Share |

Lock Replacement Non-standard Door

The lock on my entrance door is broken. I bought a new lock set, only to discover the door is a non-standard size (thinner) and the new set won't fit. Anyone know where I might find a non-standard lock (locking doorknob and dead bolt) to fit the door? Thank you!

jane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Stair builder

Most locksets will fit an exterior door or an interior door, how thin is your door?

Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Interior doors are 1 3/8" thick. Exterior doors are 1 3/4" thick. There are variations ,but it's not really important at this point in the relationship.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Hmmm . . . the door is 1 and 3/4" thick . . . the contractor's guy said the lock was defective and that I needed to return it. Then, the contractor told me no, that it isn't defective, but it isn't the size for my (supposedly) non-standard door and they might have to use a spacer. Sounds to me that the door is standard, so not sure what gives. Guess I'll have to take a second look at the lock set and see what size IT is . . .
jane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane99 View Post
Hmmm . . . the door is 1 and 3/4" thick . . . the contractor's guy said the lock was defective and that I needed to return it. Then, the contractor told me no, that it isn't defective, but it isn't the size for my (supposedly) non-standard door and they might have to use a spacer. Sounds to me that the door is standard, so not sure what gives. Guess I'll have to take a second look at the lock set and see what size IT is . . .
If it's an exterior lock you have and a regular exterior door, my guess would be the contractor.
Who manufacturer's the lock. Some high end locks are a tricky install if you're not familiar with them or you can't follow directions.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Stair builder

1 3/4" is the standard for an exterior door. Ron is likely correct in his post. The only other thing I can think of is that the offset may be non-standard but it likely came pre-bored.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Could they be talking about the backset of the lock?
Backset - The backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the 2-1/8" bore hole. In the U.S. there are two common backsets for residential locks, 2-3/8" and 2-3/4".

Many (but not all) come with an adjustable latch that will accommodate either backset. If the backset of the new lock is not adjustable you may have to a different latch.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #8

I agree with rjniles, most locksets now come with adjustable backset. door thickness should be okay. If your door was thinner than 1 3/8" you would most likely need spacers.

henrybo is offline   Reply With Quote