Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Loading Bearing Wall

I am looking to do a remodel on a 2.5 story in the kitchen. We are looking at removing a section of loading bearing wall that spans a total of 13 feet but will be broken into two sections one @ 9 feet the other @ 4 feet. We plan getting an engineer to sign off, but wanted some feedback on the support beam. It is an older some so it is true 2*4 construction. I was hoping to use 2by12 sandwiched with glue and sheathing and then split between the two sections and carried at both ends and where the 9ft and 3ft section might. I also plan on keeping the current solid oak 2by8 in its place while putting the 2by12 below it. Any Thoughts?

Last edited by mattmc; 01-27-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Missed info
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Loading Bearing Wall

I'd be more inclined to use a microlam or a parellam and span the whole opening in one even tho your using a center support. Guess it all depends on the engineer's recommendations

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 6

Loading Bearing Wall

I had a difficult time following your post. I gather you want to remove the wall, then install a post? at the 9 foot point so you will cut the maximum span to 9 feet. Is this for aesthetic reasons? If not, maybe you should consider removing the entire wall, and spanning all 13 feet with no intermediate post. Your engineer will spec the beam, but it can certainly be spanned with the correct Glulam or perhaps a steel beam.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Loading Bearing Wall

I'm glad to hear you will get professional help on this, and the liability involved. The S.E. will spec the header, posts, floor blocking, post below right down to the footing size and depth, any steel strapping for tie-in to the existing walls, etc......The potential loads above can be a few thousand pounds, more or less....
Let us know what they say, and Welcome to the forum!

Gary
Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #5

Loading Bearing Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I had a difficult time following your post. I gather you want to remove the wall, then install a post? at the 9 foot point so you will cut the maximum span to 9 feet. Is this for aesthetic reasons? If not, maybe you should consider removing the entire wall, and spanning all 13 feet with no intermediate post. Your engineer will spec the beam, but it can certainly be spanned with the correct Glulam or perhaps a steel beam.
The post between the 9 and 3 foot mark would be the start of a wall that would enclose a small section for a refrigerator and cabinet.
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling joist, load bearing wall, remodel kitchen, span, support beam