Load Bearing Wall And Joist Hanger - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Load bearing wall and joist hanger

Can I use a beam with joist hangers to support the joists in a 4ft opening of a load bearing wall? I have little height clearance due to different floor levels between roooms

Advertisement

cabphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Yes, that's what you do when you want to tuck a beam into the ceiling.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,080

Be sure to add blocking in the floor to bearing below for the new concentrated point loads or run the header 16" long each way over the walls.
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Check with an engineer or architect first.

You can't just throw in a beam and some hangers in an opening and call it good. In this situation, each end of the beam now has a point load or concentrated load. This load has to be carried down to it's own footing.

For example, if this is in a second story, the beam would have to be supported by trimmer studs (also called jack studs), then a bearing point through the floor joist system, then a bearing point in the first floor wall, then another bearing point in the first floor joist system, then a bearing point through a basement wall to a footing in the basement floor.

Failure to properly carry bearing points can cause structural damage to your home.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisert View Post
Check with an engineer or architect first.

You can't just throw in a beam and some hangers in an opening and call it good. In this situation, each end of the beam now has a point load or concentrated load. This load has to be carried down to it's own footing.

For example, if this is in a second story, the beam would have to be supported by trimmer studs (also called jack studs), then a bearing point through the floor joist system, then a bearing point in the first floor wall, then another bearing point in the first floor joist system, then a bearing point through a basement wall to a footing in the basement floor.

Failure to properly carry bearing points can cause structural damage to your home.
Well said, couldn't agree more. Even if the proposed scenario is structurally feasible, there are a multitide of hangers that could be utilized. Using the incorrect hanger for the imposed loads would be bad...Best to have it professionally sized.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote