Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #1

Share |

And little help with my stairs

Hi I am new to this forum and I am very glade I have found it. I am replacing the carpet that is on the stairs. One problem I have is when going up the stairs you come to a landing and step up to another landing both about 4 feet buy 3.5. I want to put wood on the landings but what would be the best to put down. Should I use laminate hardwood flooring or what would you use.

Chris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #2

The challenge to doing this is putting wood down without creating what is called a rise variance...A gross difference in the height of the steps. You don't want a bunch of 7-1/2" steps and then have a 6-3/4" step. That would be noticeable under foot and would be a code violation.

If you must have the look of hardwood at your landings, I'd suggest going with some sort of laminate/engineered flooring. Actual hardwood will be too thick, and will certainly booger up the dimension of the existing stairs. Be sure to put down a sound deadening mat if you use a floating floor.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The challenge to doing this is putting wood down without creating what is called a rise variance...A gross difference in the height of the steps. You don't want a bunch of 7-1/2" steps and then have a 6-3/4" step. That would be noticeable under foot and would be a code violation.

If you must have the look of hardwood at your landings, I'd suggest going with some sort of laminate/engineered flooring. Actual hardwood will be too thick, and will certainly booger up the dimension of the existing stairs. Be sure to put down a sound deadening mat if you use a floating floor.
Thanks for the reply, I was hopping to go with a floating floor I think it would be much easier to put down. And I will look into the deadening mat. This might be good practice because I want to put down a floating floor in the living room.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #4

I think you need to rule out the laminate. It expands and contracts and you are going to have to incorporate that into your installation which mean placing a number of expansion joints around the perimeter. It's going to be difficult to do this and in the end it will look like a cover up job.
As for the previous posts suggestion, some engineered hardwood would be great for this. If you have to worry about the thickness you could even do a thin parquet.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #5

Before you relay the carpet you could deal with the issue of different heights and shim or remove to work everything out.
Another bad thing about the laminate is that since this will be a high wear high traffic area, laminate isn't going to be durable enough. Stairs take a lot more impact and traffic.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Before you relay the carpet you could deal with the issue of different heights and shim or remove to work everything out.
Another bad thing about the laminate is that since this will be a high wear high traffic area, laminate isn't going to be durable enough. Stairs take a lot more impact and traffic.
OK I was thinking about putting a floating floor on the landings. But I might have to rethink that. Right now one of the problems I am having is the stair/carpet transition at the top step. I am going to keep the carpet up stairs. I need something for the top step.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Laminate floors are fine on stairs. They wear well and should not be a concern. Someone must have used really cheap flooring. Several manufactures even include stair noses for this installation. Used them several times and still no issues. One was installed about 5 years ago. Movement and expansion is not an issue when you are only dealing with 3' span.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote