Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

Left or right hand crown inside corner?

This is my first board and I wasn't sure if it was a left hand inside cope. Since posting, I confirmed that it was correct. Now I just have to see how well it mates with the but of the next board. (Bottom shown against fence and bevel coped away.)
Attached Thumbnails
Left or right hand crown inside corner?-pict0066.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 01-06-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Figured it out
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #2

Just a tip for you when doing crown. Always keep in mind that the piece to be coped should be the one that hides the inside corner best when viewed from entering the room. In other words for example. Let's say you have a 10 x 10 room with the entry in the center. The wall straight across the room would be the one that has a piece with no coping ( an end cut on each corner). Then looking from the doorway, for the walls on the left and right, those pieces will be coped into your first piece at each respective corner. Then obviously the piece above the door will will coping on each end. That's just the way I approach it.

Here's coper's nightmare for yah>> Coping

A total of 23 individual squares to cope. Fun Fun!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #3

Thanks Crossworks for the perspective on perspective of viewing. I never thought of it like that, but it makes sense. The way you describe, the edge of the copes on the end of the walls furthest from the entrance wouldn't be as noticeable.

Pretty sophisticated for me. I spent quite a while wrestling with two boards to check the fit betrween putting them up on the wall. Had a Dickens of a time trying to get it them layed out with saw horses and a work support, during which I broke the little pointy thing off the end of a cope. (Cut the stub off clean so it buts up against the but cut piece). I finally realized the problem was I was laing the coped board the wrong way and it dropped in to place with miner adjustments. I never claimed to be bright and would rather be lucky.

It's a pain in the ass trying to lay entire boards out to fit. Does anyone do it or do you simply cope against a small sample piece? I want to avoid having to make adjustments up on a ladder.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Klawman,
If I am installing crown on a typical ceiling, I usually start with the longest side. If I am working my way around clockwise, the left end of my crown (beginning point) will be a cope cut. The right end will be straight cut. I cut a small piece of crown (use a scrap) that only needs to be 6-8" long. I put the scrap up in the corner and barely pin it in place. Then I install my first long side. I work may way around the room, with each successive board having a cope and a straight cut. When I get to the last piece, it will have a straight cut on the final end that will fit into the place where my little scrap was, once I remove it. This way your last piece won't end up being a cope at each end.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Crossworks, those coifers look great! easy to do, and good money. I use that same jig in my business! its so much faster and way more accurate than cutting crown "on the flat".

firehawk, I use a laser range finder to get my lengths, its scary accurate. Also use the bosch miter finder for outside corners.

Now if I could only find a way to do the filling and caulking really fast so that it looks good :D

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca
mrmac204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #6

Firewhawk/Mike: That tip about using a short scrap piece is a good one. Just fitting the cope on a board mounted on my table just isn't the same thing as fitting it in place on the wall. I will probably go crazy and use a whole foot.

I see you are near Cleveland. My better half is from Findlay. Her sister lives in Solon.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #7

Solon is right next door to us. I have a bunch of relatives there.
Mike Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
Firewhawk/Mike: That tip about using a short scrap piece is a good one. Just fitting the cope on a board mounted on my table just isn't the same thing as fitting it in place on the wall. I will probably go crazy and use a whole foot.

I see you are near Cleveland. My better half is from Findlay. Her sister lives in Solon.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

I'm with "firehawk" on the clockwise method. The "left" cope is the easiest for me. And start with the long piece. That way if you mess it up, it will still work for the short side. Haven't tried the "scrap piece" method, but does sound interesting. Hate those double copes.....
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #9

I did that "scrap piece" method last week. It works great! I messed up a little bit though- I used the customers sample piece for my scrap on the wall- turned out it was a "little" bit different in size, and (from an inside corner to an outside corner) I was fitting the outside corner of this piece, and I didn't pay enough attention to the cope onto the scrap - so I didn't get it very tight.
Live and learn! search my bag of tricks, used a couple of shims, twist a bit - tada! fixed.

I also am not so fond of double copes- because I can never seem to get the length right! I'm always over length, don't know why. must be the cosmic rays the martians are beaming at us.
gotta find that aluminium foil hat.....
mrmac204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

When that last piece is just a "tad" long (usually my problem too because you just DON'T want to be short) you bow it in the middle, get the ends right and nail them, then push the middle back in to make sure those copes are tight! Who needs caulk.....

Tags
cope, crown moulding, left hand inside