Ledger Board - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By stick\shift
  • 2 Post By joecaption

Old 05-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Ledger board

Hello everyone,

We are planning to build a 15` by 19` deck this summer. I will be starting with the ledger board (15 `). One of the issue is that I have basement exhaust in the way, so will have to cut the ledger board.
I have multiple questions
1) Should I cut the vinyl siding to the exact measurement of 15` or should I remove couple of inches extra on each side.
2) How to do the flashing on the sides of the ledger board.
3) I have the wooden white board under the Kitchen walkout. Should I cut that too along with the vinyl siding or should I put the ledger board below the white board (in that case the deck will almost a step lower than the kitchen walk out)
4) Also do I have to attach the vinyl siding back on the underside of the ledger board (will have around 6-7 inches of space between the ledger board and concrete foundation) or is there any other solution besides the vinyl siding.

I am attaching the pictures of the walkout. Any input will be appreciated.
Ledger board-img_7625.jpg

Ledger board-img_7626.jpg

Ledger board-img_7627.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by arrow80; 05-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.
arrow80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 848

Re: Ledger board

Have you thought about a freestanding deck instead of punching holes in a wall which is currently keeping the weather outside of the house?

Advertisement

stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 13,332

1. Cut slight smaller to allow for expansion but not 2". Check the current gap at the side of the door and make it similar.
2. Same as the sides of the door. Use a J molding strip.
3. A step lower is good. It prevents water and snow from coming into the door.
4. You need something there to protect the side of your house. It should be flashed the same as under the door is now with more J molding.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14,010

I agree the only way I would build it would be freestanding so nothing on the home would have to be touched.
jlhaslip and BIG Johnson like this.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 790

Here's a image I was given. It shows how vinyl siding can be tied with a channel so that water from above and sides is properly drained. But there must be a flashing under these channels as well overlapping anything that can rot, including the vent trimmings.

A small step down is a must, esp if you're in snow zone, you must check under your door and make sure there is a proper flashing and drainage. A deck will more or less permanently block off the area - out of sight, out of mind. That white board, now, may be rotting the rim joist.

I think ledger board is fine. I'd remove 2 vinyl courses, ice shield an inch away from top and an inch below the foundation (foam air gaps now as well as possibly sheetmetal termite shield), overlap entrance flashing to the shield, bolt on ledger, flashing on ledge, aluminum z flashing, 1" space, vinyl starter strip or vinyl finish channel. Don't use regular channel on the bottom - holds water, dirt, anything that falls into it. Use flashing to separate pt lumber from metals.
Attached Thumbnails
Ledger board-vinyl-siding-window-trim-detail.jpg  
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 14,010

That piece of vinyl lumber under the threshold is supporting the threshold and needs to be there.
Trust me make the deck freestanding.
I've been paid thousands of dollars in the past to fix homes from decks done with ledgers.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 30

Thank you everyone.
Stick/Shift, Joecaption - I never thought of the free standing deck. Thought that attached deck will be easier to make than free standing deck.

Carpdad - Deck will be 1&1/2 inch lower than the kitchen floor.

Joed - Thanks for the advice. Will cut the sidings around 1 inch on either side.

Will keep you posted on how the deck building is progressing.
Happy Memorial Day everyone.
arrow80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 276

A footing within 5 ft of foundation is required by code to be dug the depth of house footing. Digging 3 6' holes is a lot harder than attaching a ledger.
Pvc board under door should be removed and then ripped (cut) down and replaced after decking is installed.
Explaining how to flash ledger is too much for reply just Google it you will find detailed instructions with photos.
It maybe better to have contractor install ledger for you, to avoid future water damage.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 74

Arrow80;

Below is a link for an excellent resource for deck building. It should give you the answers to most questions and perhaps suggest some things you haven't thought of.

https://www.tauntonstore.com/decks-complete.html
rander101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 484

If it is my house and I am going the ledger route, I am pulling ALL of the vinyl off up to about a foot over the top of the ledger. I am also pulling off the "white board" below the stairs.....which does NOT need to be there in its current configuration. Yes, it supports the threshold, no, there is no requirement for it to be a one bye six....or whatever it is. Could be a one bye four, one be two, whatever. All that said, freestanding might be the best way to go. Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote