Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Talking

ledger attached to brick for pergola

first time poster, just joined the site recently. i have an issue with a pergola i am about to build and thought maybe someone could give me some help or even just another perspective. i have built a deck at the back of our house. i have two posts that are approx 12' from the house that i plan to use for the pergola. these post are set and the deck is build around them. the ledger for the pergola will be attached to brick. 2x6 's for the joists. the issue im having is trying to figure out a relatively easy,as in one or two person, way to attch the joists to the ledger. i really dont like the look of exposed joist hangers. attaching the joists to the ledger from behind and then placing the ledger requires more man power than available. i was entertaining the idea of somehow notching out the ledger for each individual joist and having them rest in place along with a couple screws. is this a good idea? has anybody done this before? how should i go about tackling this project? any feedback would be greatly appreciated as i am now at a lost at what to do. thank you in advance

soupdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #2

Notching the ledger is a no-go. Hangers are typically required to get the job done. Will this pergola have any sort of roofing on it, or just beams and such?

One thing you might entertain is conventionally attaching a ledger and framing your rafters tight to it. After they're up, you could cut thrust blocks the same nominal dimension as the ledger and tightly install them between the rafters. The thrust blocks are fastened to the ledger, and are toenailed into the rafters, resulting in a fairly strong connection. If you're having it inspected, you need to run the idea of thrust blocks past the inspector before you do it.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

no roof just 2x6's and 2x4's. inspector already passed the project so no inspection. thrust blocks seem like a reasonable solution. i also received some feedback stating the use of a 2x2 attached to the bottom of the ledger allowing the joist to rest on them. what are your thoughts on this approach if any. thanks for the reply
soupdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #4

An inspector passed it and you haven't even built it yet. That's downright incredible. Hope you didn't have to pay for a permit for that kind of "service".

The 2x2 is an option, but I don't think it is a very good one. A 2x2 doesn't offer much strength, as there's very little surface area contact to the ledger, so you're relying on the nails or screws alone. Thrust blocks would look better and work better IMHO.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Licensed Contractor

I would also go with the blocking between the rafters/joists. The 2x2 would be a magnet for moisture and dirt, promoting rot. And I think, unless you hid it somehow, it would just look bad.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #6

Are you attaching the ledger to brick or concrete block?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Licensed Contractor

Excellent point about th eledger. Brick or block, here in New England, it would have to be attached to the framing, depending on town BI interpretation.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #8

Around here, ledger attachment to solid framing is the norm, but you can get a ledger approved attached to block. You can not attach a ledger to brick. If the op has brick, I'd use a free standing system.