Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking Window

I just purchased a house and recently noticed my window is leaking. Upon inspection, the lower corners of the outside window frame is soft (rotten) and it seems to be allowing water to penetrate into my bedroom. On the inside of the winder the lower corner of the window sill is slightly loose and there is a small soft spot ( approximately the size of a silver dollar) on the drywall adjacent to the loose window sill.

What is the best plan of action to fix this problem? Do I cut out the rotted wood and fill it with bondo (or a new piece of wood) and then caulk? What about the inside? Remove the section of drywall that is wet and re-caulk? What about any possible mold?

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Leaking Window

"the lower corners of the outside window frame is soft", This is where a picture would be wonderful. Just for clarification, there is a window frame, and there is the "window sash", the sash being the wooden frame that the glass is made into. Then we have the possiblity of you having "brick mold" or some other type of wood trim on the outside of your window. OR you could be talking about the actual window sill. IF you're wood rot is confined to a small area, say the size of the palm of your hand, then maybe removing all of the rotted wood and using a Bondo made for wood would be apporpriate. I do use this material and like to place it in layers instead of one large gob. IF it is the trim, this is easily replaced. IF it is the window sill, I would not say that it is easy for a DIY, but can be done, I do a lot of them. IF it is the actual bottom piece of the window sash, this is not a DIY project. Most of the wooden windows in my area have a similar design cut on these and I have ten foot peices cut at a local mill shop just for these replacements. There is still a lot of cutting and hand fitting to do the bottom piece of a window sash, but it can be done. As far as the drywall, depending on how large an area has been affected, it may be time to inspect behind this drywall for further damage. This water could have gotten into the wall cavity and you may have further rot. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote