Larry's New House - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2004, 04:54 AM   #1

Unhappy

Larry's New House

QUESTION: My framer made a mistake and put TJI hangers to high. He says he can fix it by ripping the bottom part of the TJI 2 inches, and then lowering the TJI into the hanger. he says it will not effect the strength of the TJI. Is this correct?

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
HCI

Rewards Points: 10

Larry's New House

do you mean the framer wants to notch the TGI to fit into the hanger? If so, STOP HIM. Have him remove the hanger and lower them the 2". Yes he will weeken the TGI and you may not pass your framing inspection.

Advertisement

HCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Larry's New House

If you want to give him a confirmation that it's not acceptable goto www.trusjoist.com and download their TJI manual. It specifically states no cutting of the top or bottom flange. I call it a flange - they might call it chord.
hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Larry's New House

I was on a jobsite once and I was watching the GC supervising his framers who were putting a pre-engineered floor joist in backwards so the AC duct space didn't line up. I told him it was backwards and needed to be flipped around. He shrugged and said "We'll just cut the hole in the joist.

I didn't complain since it's not my problem but my point is: These "I'll just...." answers are always a big problem. He should do it to the plan specifications.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:39 AM   #5
PRO

Larry's New House

First thing you should do, is make sure your framer is not smokeing crack.
Glasshousebltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Larry's New House

The framers were obviously unskilled laborers and the GC was doing his own framing, by instructing the unskilled guys. I guess the GC was also obviously unskilled. As a matter of fact I spoke with himm today about an unpaid partial balance.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:02 AM   #7

Larry's New House

Thanks everyone for the comments. It helped, I told the framer to lower the hanger the 2" and he did. I also told him to stop smoking crack on the job. Larry
Old 03-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #8

Larry's New House

LOL.. way to go.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:07 AM   #9

Larry's New House

Larry again folks. This time my framer is saying although we signed a contract for a certain amount, he is not able to complete the job because he says the plans were wrong. The roof system does not match the plans, he says the designer, the engineer and whoever else put it togeather was not in the field to see it did not work the way they designed it. My question is, who is most lible for screwing up. The designer, the carpenter, or the engineer?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:38 AM   #10

Larry's New House

Here's the way I look at it. If the framer did a takeoff they should have seen issues before they ever started work. And even if the plans are wrong - how different could 2 roofs be on the same house. If it goes from hip to gable it's the same amount of wood and vice versa.
Tell the framer to meet with the designer/engineer for a couple hours and figure it out - and offer to pay for the 2 hours of coordination. Then when you have it figured out tell him to quit his damn whining and do what he promised in the contract.

Advertisement