Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
Cool

Largest Crown Molding Cut on DeWalt 716

What is the largest crown moliding the 12" DeWalt 716 double bevel miter saw will cut. I know the limit for cutting crown in position, but what if I cut it on the flat by using an auxiliary base and lay it up against the back fence" Assume the width of the molding is 1 1/8" or less.

I may wish to hang some 12" stuff in a tall room and I am certain the saw will max out around 9" or perhaps less that 8". In that case, what do you think about flipping the molding around and setting the cut on the other side of the saw in order to complete the cut?

Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #2

I called DeWalt and could only talk with a woman who I am not sure even understood the problem. I had sent a question over their online site that may have disappeared into a black hole, as I do not beleive they had me as a registered member. I reasked the question and hopefully will get some real feedback.

Meanwhle, I have built an auxillary base and laid a piece of 5" scrap crown down to get an idea of what can be done with taller stuff. Immediately, I think I spotted the potential problem.

Normally, the edge of the shoulder of the crown abuts against the surface of the saw's fence when being cut on the flat. Because the back fence isn't much taller that the base of the primary fence, the edge of the moldings shoulder is taller than the top of the back fence. Hence it over rides the back fence and the leading edge of the top of the fence abuts the middle of the shoulder. I hope this makes sense, as it only may if you have a DW 716.

I am mainly talking to myself in hopes that this gets this thread to the top where someone that understands the problem might see it and straighten me out.

Tomorrow I hope to get some samples of 8" and 8-7/8" crown to test cut. I think the 716 will handle the first but not the second.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

The listed specs of the saw should tell you it's capacity. You can verify by just cutting scrap wood at the width you want.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #4

Thanks Ron. The specs aren't that clear. While they give a specific and greater number for cutting baseboard with the back fence, nothing is said about cutting crown with the back fence.

"Horizontal Capacity: Baseboard lying flat: 8" (10" with back fence) left and right

Horizontal Capacity: Crown Molding lying flat: 6-1/2 (nothing said about the back fence. This is the same capacity given for cutting in position)"

So DeWalt doesn't say you can or cannot cut flat against the back fence and if so the capacity.

I have tested the back fence method on some smaller scrap (5" crown) and spotted a problem which doesn't necessarily rule out cutting crown with the back fence. I can't pick up samples of the tall stuff until later. Because the height of the back fence isn't much greater than the base of the primary (front) fence, any crown tends to ride up over the back fence like the prow of an old ice breaker riding up over a sheet of ice.

The question in my mind is if the molding is firmly clamped against the base will the molding be parallel to the fence.

I have tried to attach a bmp file showing a sketch of the problem, but am having technical difficulties as I can't figure how to reduce the pixel count.

I think there is a relativley simple way to stop the base of the molding from over riding what in effect is a very short fence. Add an auxilliary fence. There are two holes passing trhough the base of the fence and that are aligned with holes in the back fence. They appear to be intended for fastening an auxiallary fence to the front fence. Use them to attach an auxilliary back fence so as to raise its heighh just enough to enable the leading edge of the crown to rest against the flat of fthe fence.

Last edited by Klawman; 11-13-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: developed a possible solution
Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #5

I cut crown, laying flat on the saw. The miters and bevel angles are shallow,(under 20 degrees for a 56 degree spring angle) so whatever the distance from the blade to the back fence, that's the width of the crown you can cut.
I have a 12" dual bevel Makita and can cut about a 12" wide board at 20 degrees.
Ron
Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #6

This response just came in from DeWalt.

"Dear Richard, we believe the following information addresses your inquiry.

The "special set-up for wide crosscuts" can be found on p.11 of the DW716 use and care manual, where it discusses the use of 1.5" thick particleboard or similar material to make the platform. The length of cuts that can be accomplished using that method are described using "dimensional" lumber, which is less than the lumber dimension (ie 2x10) given. You can cut 6 5/8" crown vertically nested, and should be able to cut up to 8" crown, depending on the angle of the cut, laying flat with the special set-up.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. If your question remains unresolved or if you require additional information please update this incident.

Sincerely,

Bob Capitani"

I hear you, Ron. It will depend on the thickness of the molding and the bevel angle. As most crown is less than 2", I can see how you could cut stuff taller than 10". I will get some big sample and experiment.

And thank you for helping me out. Can I impose on you further and ask you if the guys at Home Depot are spot on. They are telling me all I need is a straight 16 gauge nailer for tall UMDF crown. Angle nailer is nice but not needed. Is a 16 going to have the holding power I need? Thanks.

BTW, I am not carpenter, but I got my apprentice card back in the late 70's. Problem was finding anyone needing an apprentice without any skills and I ended up elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #7

Angled nailers are a little more flexible in certain situations, but for an open space, you could use either. You need to hit the framing behind the walls and ceiling to secure the molding properly. The 16 guage will do the job.
Ron
Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #8

Ron,

Again, thanks. I think the key was "open space". I just don't see any tight corners in my house where I straight gun won't do the job and later I can use the 16 for tall baseboards and things for which a 15 may be a bit too much. If I did this for a living, that would be another story. Plus they cost less, are usually on sale in combo with a half decent compressor, and I believe the nails tend to even cost less.

I see you are on Long Island. Stay warm and thanks again.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #9

The proof is in the eating of the pudding and the pudding was bland. I got some tall molding and experimented on cutting it on my DW716 using the backfence method. When set up for a 90 degree corner, it can't quire cut much more than 8-1/4". Setting it for a 132 degree corner, it did the trick. For the room I had planned to use the back fence methond, I will skip it as it is too much of a hassel to gain not much more than an 1-1/2", If it were just 4 corners, perhaps, but this has a lot of extra corners necessitating a lot of miter angle changes. I will probably do a two piece molding.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest Crown Molding Cut on DeWalt 716-pict0086.jpg   Largest Crown Molding Cut on DeWalt 716-pict0085.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 11-14-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Delete unrelated pic

Tags
ausiliary base, crwon molding, miter saw