Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Large radius rounded corner

I want to put about 3" radius on right angle corners. I found a longitudinal segment of 6" plastic sewer pipe could possibly be used if I could figure out how to attach it to the studs in the meeting walls. The walls are sheathed with 1/4" plywood, not gypsum board. Inside radius of the pipe is 3.14" and wall thickness is 0.18"
The attachment must be invisible on the outside because I want smooth wall to and around the corner. How to do it?

ginghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Well that made no since to me. Are you just trying to make round outside corners on inside walls?
Why does it have to be 3".
Why is there plywood on the walls and not drywall.
How does plastic drain pipe come into play? Make no since to use it. No way to cover it and have it stick.
Why not just rounded drywall outside corners? A whole lot easyer.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Kerf the back of some plywood so it bends?

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

You can also buy plywood paneling that all the plys run in the same direction so it's far more flexable.
First time I saw it was in an Airstream trailer. Any real plywood supply can get it. Not a box store.
mae-ling (05-31-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

If you look at the corner from the outside you see a "V" made by the 2x4's of the meeting walls. I picked a 6" diam. pipe because radius of 3.14" is a bit less than 3.5" depth of a 2x4. The pipe would be cut in two places longitudinally to get about 1/4 of the circumference. How to attach it invisibly to the wood?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This is so easy to do that it embarrasses me to post this.

All that is required for you to do is to saw off the bottom and top plate corners, and to decide on whether you like it as shown... or if you would rather have the 6" PVC pipe overhang the outside edges of the plates to possibly better align with the outter planes of the future drywall you will be using. That would be your personal choice, although I think a good "near-3"-radius" corner can be taped and mudded just like this.

The smart trick is to cut up a short piece of pipe, and two short little "studs"... then place them on two plates, and slide all three pieces around till you get JUST what you think you will be pleased with. Then write down all those placements for cutting and fastening the big "real" stuff.

The real fun is getting your baseboard to follow that radius.

The last picture shows what it would look like slid outside the plate edges by 1/2" to line up with the drywall. (Bottom view shown)
Attached Thumbnails
Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-1.jpg   Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-2.jpg   Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-3.jpg   Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-4.jpg   Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-5.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 06-02-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
BigJim (06-04-2013), ginghis (06-03-2013), hand drive (06-03-2013), oh'mike (06-02-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

rubber baseboard needed for sure or backside kerf city on some 1x.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This is similar to how it would look with a single-piece corner and mudded-in drywall endings. (Don't try a three-piece corner... it will look pretty hacked up... trust me, that is the voice of experience.)
Attached Thumbnails
Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-6.jpg   Large radius rounded corner-round-corner-7.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ginghis (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

Thanks Willie. I think your idea will work altho some cosmetics at the corner will be required.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginghis View Post
Thanks Willie. I think your idea will work altho some cosmetics at the corner will be required.
As I said, I think the trick for you will be to experiment with little 6" pieces till you discover just what gives you what you're hoping for. Every cut and placement will be a bit different than what I drew as you slide all the pieces around.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
journeyman carpenter

with the pvc corner, how are you going to finish the drywall to it with out a flange or anything to help hold mud in place.. i would never do it this way.. 2 layers of 1/4 flexible drywall will go alot farther than that method
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
with the pvc corner, how are you going to finish the drywall to it with out a flange or anything to help hold mud in place.. i would never do it this way.. 2 layers of 1/4 flexible drywall will go alot farther than that method
Trouble is, you're going to have to have a fairly damage resistant corner. That takes something hard.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #13

Lightbulb

I am using plywood surface, not drywall. I almost figured my own solution by gluing an attachment piece near each edge of the pipe that has been cut longitudinally to give just over 1/4 circumference. I will rout a lip on the pipe edge to just overlap the plywood. Paint the pipe the same color as the baseboard and cove so the plywood is framed. It's now the detail of the attachment considering it is inaccessible behind the 2x4's.