DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   Landing -- BullNose Question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/landing-bullnose-question-7163/)

WorkOnIt 03-17-2007 11:08 AM

Landing -- BullNose Question
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys;
Trying to open up a landing, that was previously only open on one side. After opening the wall I am now trying to finish the landing so I can resume construction to finish off the wall.

My dilemma deals with trying to eliminate a notch in the existing hardwood to make everything nice and clean.

I have attached a picture that gives you the overall look of the landing (on the unfinished side) and another for a proposed cut of this notched hardwood.

What I would like to do is completely remove the notched piece, but as it currently is the stairs actually sit in this piece so I can not easily remove the entire piece.

The rectangle in pic 1 shows basically the piece I want to replace, and the line in pic 2 shows where I would like to cleanly cut this piece for removal.



My questions: how can I cut there, it is a little tight for a circular saw, but maybe doable. How about a jig saw cut? Not really sure what else I would be cutting into underneath the landing.

Other suggestions are welcome…

AtlanticWBConst. 03-17-2007 03:18 PM

...Umm...I think I understand this....

You could even use a sawz-all with a thick blade. Use a steady hand to straight cut it. Then you could take another portion of the tip off to start the curve there. Use a rotory tool to round it off. You could also use a palm sander with 60 grit to sand it down to a bull-nose there and finish with a 100 or higher grit ....

WorkOnIt 03-17-2007 10:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions AWBConst...

However, as it turns out I decided to completely pull up the existsing hardwood and I am in the process of redoing the entire landing with new hardwood.

After trying to figure out how to handle this minor little glitch, it dawn on me "rip it up and replace the whole landing.

Figured what I was going to spend in time trying to match up existing with new, I could get all new and have matching wood that would not need sanding and other touchups to make presentable.

I ripped up the old stuff this afternoon and will post the pictures as I go through the processs of laying the new.

WorkOnIt

AtlanticWBConst. 03-17-2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkOnIt (Post 37344)
Thanks for the suggestions AWBConst...

However, as it turns out I decided to completely pull up the existsing hardwood and I am in the process of redoing the entire landing with new hardwood.

After trying to figure out how to handle this minor little glitch, it dawn on me "rip it up and replace the whole landing.

Figured what I was going to spend in time trying to match up existing with new, I could get all new and have matching wood that would not need sanding and other touchups to make presentable.

I ripped up the old stuff this afternoon and will post the pictures as I go through the processs of laying the new.

WorkOnIt

Glad it worked out....


FWIW - Alot of the things we learn in the trades are actually in the 'remodeling arena', as opposed to the 'new construction' area....

...."Experience" ...comes through 'trial and error'....the key is to 'try'....

and to do so cautiously, with fore-thought and a degree of intelligence.....

(...looks like you did that....)

WorkOnIt 03-18-2007 08:54 PM

Refinished Landing
 
3 Attachment(s)
AWBConstr...

I told you that I would upload some pics...

Once I had it ripped up, and got my hands on my frends "Special Hardwood Floor" Nailer (no idea the actual name, but I am sure you know) It was a breeze...

Last thing to do on that is put the bull nose on the left side (when looking at the photo.

Disregard the temp bannister, but I need something for my pregnant wife, do not need any spills in the middle of the night.

I will be calling on you AWBConstr real soon, you can count on it...

AtlanticWBConst. 03-18-2007 09:09 PM

Looks good so far!

My condolences to your wife...:wink:
(They all put up with so much during these projects... :laughing: )

WorkOnIt 03-18-2007 10:02 PM

I think I am going to be find adding the bull nose on left side, but just wanted you viewpoints and expertise.

As you can see on the right side (1st pic) I added a 2X4 frame on the to increase the (reach) into the dining room. With the front door where it is, do you think that I have enough room do the same. I kinda of like the look, when the landing advances into the room. (would like to match that on the other side.

Bull nose is 5 1/2 wide
Still have existing 1" on landing to fill.

So if I add a 3.5" frame plus the 1" still existing that gets me to 4.5", then the bul nose has a 1" hang over. Does that sound right... (trying to eliminate ripping a piece of hardwood to fit in)

Anyway, seee any problems with that? or what about the door being able to open? Swings that way...

You are right, see has been putting up with a construction site for the last year since we bought the place. We are getting along, this major project #4. (Bathm, Kitchen, Guest BR, and dining room).

I do have to get going, the NURSERY has just been added to the list :huh: :laughing:

Thanks AGain AWBConstr...

AtlanticWBConst. 03-18-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkOnIt (Post 37487)
I think I am going to be find adding the bull nose on left side, but just wanted you viewpoints and expertise.

As you can see on the right side (1st pic) I added a 2X4 frame on the to increase the (reach) into the dining room. With the front door where it is, do you think that I have enough room do the same. I kinda of like the look, when the landing advances into the room. (would like to match that on the other side.

Bull nose is 5 1/2 wide
Still have existing 1" on landing to fill.

So if I add a 3.5" frame plus the 1" still existing that gets me to 4.5", then the bul nose has a 1" hang over. Does that sound right... (trying to eliminate ripping a piece of hardwood to fit in)

Anyway, seee any problems with that? or what about the door being able to open? Swings that way...

You are right, see has been putting up with a construction site for the last year since we bought the place. We are getting along, this major project #4. (Bathm, Kitchen, Guest BR, and dining room).

I do have to get going, the NURSERY has just been added to the list :huh: :laughing:

Thanks AGain AWBConstr...

(Haven't actually read this last post.... Going to bed buddy...I need to remember to read this tomorrow...)

....tho, Mondays are ususally crazy busy with the phone ringing to the point that you want to through it into a body of water...:laughing:

beer_geek 03-19-2007 07:21 AM

Looking good there. Can you do me a huge favor? Can you post pictures of the finished job? I'd like to see how you did the bannister on both sides. I have a similar project coming up. IIRC, don't you need a continuous one on at least one side?

AtlanticWBConst. 03-19-2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer_geek (Post 37506)
Looking good there. Can you do me a huge favor? Can you post pictures of the finished job? I'd like to see how you did the bannister on both sides. I have a similar project coming up. IIRC, don't you need a continuous one on at least one side?

BG,

Do these pics help?:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...T/IMG_0617.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...T/IMG_0618.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...T/IMG_0624.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...T/IMG_0626.jpg

beer_geek 03-19-2007 09:05 AM

Thanks. That's an interesting solution. For me, the walls on both sides end before the last 4 steps. Just like WorkOnIt's.

WorkOnIt 03-19-2007 01:31 PM

beer_geek:

I will certainly keep you apprised of what I do, and as always will include pics. I tend to slow down during the week... (my 9-5 gets in the way), so keep checking back...

Agenda: This weekend
finish off landing
frame out the rest of the wall (right side of stairwell when looking down the stairs)
rock exposed walls

The bannisters will be a few weeks as the boss hasn't decided what she wants to do... :wink:

beer_geek 03-19-2007 02:03 PM

That's fine. The beauty of this board is getting an email when someone posts. Take your time.

AtlanticWBConst. 03-20-2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkOnIt (Post 37487)
As you can see on the right side (1st pic) I added a 2X4 frame on the to increase the (reach) into the dining room. With the front door where it is, do you think that I have enough room do the same. I kinda of like the look, when the landing advances into the room. (would like to match that on the other side....
So if I add a 3.5" frame plus the 1" still existing that gets me to 4.5", then the bul nose has a 1" hang over. Does that sound right... (trying to eliminate ripping a piece of hardwood to fit in)
Anyway, seee any problems with that? or what about the door being able to open? Swings that way...
...

That's quite a bit of area to protrude out.
To be honest, if this were a job I was doing, I wouldn't do that to the side facing the entry door.
I think it is going to 'offset' everything in that area.

If you had more distance to the front entry door, it would be more do-able...As it stands, IMHO - this won't flow freely and esthetically...

Additionally, if you install that as you invision it, your door will backswing and be hitting the overhang of the bullnose on the bottom landing. It wont be long before that bullnose hase paint scrapes from the door and the door will have a line across the front of it at the height of that landing. (and, if you installed a door stop at the landing kick board, it would be sticking out quite a bit and look weird)

(Bare in mind...I am just going by what I see in the pics...)

beer_geek 03-20-2007 06:52 AM

He can install a hinge stop to avoid damaging the landing and the door.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.