Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |

Laminated Shelves

Hello. I am looking for laminated particle shelves of 12"X3/4"X60". My wife wants walnut or cherry. I can find white or black but can't find cherry or walnut that long.

Can you find 60" length shelves that color?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Tasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Laminated Shelves

Why do you want particle board? It is an awful product in general. You'd be better served by buying a sheet of hardwood plywood in the species that you want. Good lumber dealers will stock a few sheets of walnut and cherry, as well as a number of other flavors.

Another option would be to buy a roll of pressure sensitive adhesive-backed hardwood veneer in walnut or cherry, and laminate it to a piece of plywood or right to the laminate of another color of shelf. www.rockler.com sells a lot of PSA veneer.

Either way, you'd have to edge-band the edges with heat-activated hardwood veneer edge banding. It isn't hard, and can be done with your household iron. Rockler sells it too.

You do realize that 60" is twice as far as a 3/4" shelf can span without serious sagging, right? You'll need a support in the middle for sure.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #3

Laminated Shelves

I am just putting up some shelves in the basement. I don't have a table saw and I am poor at staining. Normal wood boards are not flat and require a lot of sanding. It would be too much trouble to buy wood, sand it, stain it and then varnish it. And on top of it, it wouldn't look good by me.

Laminated boards are fine for the basement. It is flat smooth and I can just put it on. My problem is finding 60" boards with a cherry or walnut look.
Bill Tasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #4

Laminated Shelves

Bill, what kinds of things are you planning on storing on those shelves? How deep are you making them?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #5

Laminated Shelves

How bad can you be at wiping stain on with a rag?

Good luck finding what you're looking for.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Laminated Shelves

Where I am sitting, typing this, I look to my left, and see 6 teak laminated shelves. I look above the laminated teak computer desk I built, and see two more laminated teak shelves.

Now I look to my right, and see 5 plain old plywood shelves. I didn't want to buy a whole sheet of laminate that day, so I just stained them to match the other stuff I had previously built. Know what? I can tell the difference, but I'll bet you not very many other people can. (And I ain't all that great at matching)

The five on the right were cheaper by far, easier to do, and took a lot less time. And they are over by my wife's computer... and she is as happy as a hog in slop over them.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Expert Advice

Laminated Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Tasker View Post
I am just putting up some shelves in the basement. I don't have a table saw and I am poor at staining. Normal wood boards are not flat and require a lot of sanding. It would be too much trouble to buy wood, sand it, stain it and then varnish it. And on top of it, it wouldn't look good by me.

Laminated boards are fine for the basement. It is flat smooth and I can just put it on. My problem is finding 60" boards with a cherry or walnut look.

you can buy melamine in a variety of colors at panolam...
http://www.nevamar.com/panolam/index.html
elmizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Tool Geek

Laminated Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You do realize that 60" is twice as far as a 3/4" shelf can span without serious sagging, right? You'll need a support in the middle for sure.
Assuming you will put in center support, I use a lot of 3/4" melamine for shelving. My supplier carries it in White, Black, Grey, Almond, and Maple. He will cut it down to any to any size pieces I need for a very nominal charge The edges need to be banded. Rather than pay to have him do it, I buy a roll of matching edge banding from him and put it on with my wife's old iron. He also caries self stick banding, but in fewer choices.

http://www.andersonplywood.com/mdo_woods.htm

He also carries white melamine shelving in three different widths that are prebanded.

Ask around to find a local supplier that supplies Plywood to cabinet shops or to custom finish carpenters.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote