DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   laminate kitchen countertops (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/laminate-kitchen-countertops-159637/)

thehvacguy 10-10-2012 11:15 AM

laminate kitchen countertops
 
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fix a messed up cut of a laminate countertop with a built in backsplash? I used a jigsaw and the blade didn't cut straight and my angle is a little off...

Pittsville 10-10-2012 11:25 AM

Where is the cut located in relation to appliances? Any chance you can snap a photo showing the area?

sublime2 10-10-2012 12:05 PM

Belt sander.
In the future,use a circular saw with some painters tape.
Makes quick work of the cut and its clean.

user1007 10-10-2012 12:35 PM

Any chance you can clamp a straigtedge and try again? Be sure and apply masking tape to the top so you don't tear up the laminate.

No easy way to fix the backsplash if that is where your cut went bad since most sanders will not reach it. My Fein oscillating saw did a nice job in these situations. You can pick up an equivalent for $40 or so I think although the $300 I paid for mine was one of the best investments I made.

sublime2 10-10-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester
No easy way to fix the backsplash if that is where your cut went bad since most sanders will not reach it.

Why wouldn't the sander reach it?
Am I missing something?

user1007 10-10-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1028142)
Why wouldn't the sander reach it?
Am I missing something?

Oops. My mistake. Just watch that belt sander edge along the wall trimming the backsplash.

thehvacguy 10-10-2012 02:15 PM

The messed up part was on the 45 degree angle. I used a chop saw for the backsplash so that's good, and I clamped a 2x4 guide and put masking tape when I used the jig saw, its just that the blade cut at an angle so I started filing it down and now its all weird...

sublime2 10-10-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehvacguy
The messed up part was on the 45 degree angle. I used a chop saw for the backsplash so that's good, and I clamped a 2x4 guide and put masking tape when I used the jig saw, its just that the blade cut at an angle so I started filing it down and now its all weird...

Put painters tape on top of counter near the edge,scribe a straight line along the edge on top of tape,
Hit it with the belt sander in the areas that are beyond the tape. Line till edge is straight.

thehvacguy 10-10-2012 10:42 PM

Man that's a good idea!!! I used this sort of hand file and it made it worse...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.