Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

laminate counter for sewing table ?

Hi I am new and not sure how this really works, but am tryg to figure out how to make a 36 inch wide and 8 foot long laminate counter top into a 390 inch high sewing table. I do not want to attach it to a wall and would really like it to be able to be moved if necessary. How do I frame it or make it stable enough to put some very expensive home sewing and embroidery machines on? I appreciate any help. Also the countertop has a rolled edge on both of the long sides.

peggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #2

Question

I have a 7 foot long by 36 inch wide laminate counter top that is rolled edge on front and back. I want to make it into a 30 inch high desk for sewing machine work. I do not want cabinets under it just support to hold it very stable. How do I do this? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

How about building an appropriate size apron structure with six legs. Install the table top to that with some screws, so that it can be removed for moving, if necessary.

Depending on your skills, you can use mortise and tenon joinery or sliding dovetail joinery between the apron and legs. Based on your visual taste, one could even put diagonal braces between the apron and leg to add strength.

If your carpentry skills are such that this type of joinery makes you concerned, you can purchase hardware designed to attach legs to aprons and avoid the fancy woodworking. A google search worked pretty well if you are not anywhere near a good hardware store.

Some of your decisions will be based also on aesthetics. If you are less concerned with making a fine piece of furniture, a few 2x4s may be all you need.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oberkc For This Useful Post:
peggy1 (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #4

One very simple solution would be to build 3 or 4 saw horses for under the table. You can even buy the brackets at most hardware stores.
collett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to collett For This Useful Post:
peggy1 (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
DIY staff

Collett has a good idea there.---My favorite router table has been up on saw horses for years because I never needed any thing better!

That being said---Menards has some fine metal work bench legs,ready to install--that would allow for casters and a storage shelf--Price is not bad ,either.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
peggy1 (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
STAFF

I like Mike's answer to your situation. There is no need to go all fancy when you can make do with just practical wood working. We don't know how finished you need the table or if it will be in a work area, but I am assuming it will be in a work area but you know what assuming does. I have made very strong tables that would hold up a truck if necessary out of 4X4 legs with a 2X6 skirt with double 3/4 inch plywood for the top with lockable casters. It is really just how strong and how dressed up you need it to be. Tell us which direction you need to go and maybe we can help you a little.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
peggy1 (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #7

Smile

I appreciate the help everone. by skirt do you mean a frame with legs to just set the top on? I do not need anything fancy just very sturdy to set me machines on. I really don't care as long as it is not going to fall over! I would need to be able to sit at it in different places for different machines, have 4 of them. and will not use all at once usually . But sometimes need more then one going. Also I need to be careful not to have rough edges anywhere that would snag material. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
by skirt do you mean a frame with legs to just set the top on?
Yes. I sometimes find it hard to communicate without pictures. A google search will yield good visual examples of a table skirt. Most tables have them.

Quote:
I do not need anything fancy just very sturdy to set me machines on. I really don't care as long as it is not going to fall over!
Then I am with the others. Use a bunch of 2x material and bolt them together with a bunch of lag screws. My workbenches are made this way and they would hold a small bus. They take a beating. If you want a free-standing table, remember diagonal bracing for the legs.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #9

Just ask for an expert if it is okay to do what you want for you to satisfied and make you happy.
desiree_furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #10

If I went the sawhorse route, I'd definitely put some kind of brackets to securely attach the sawhorse to the table top -- because when I get working on a project, I might loose myself and want to lean against the top -- especially with a 36" depth -- that's a lot of table to reach across.

My design... hmmm. Maybe get two pieces of 3/4" subfloor plywood and glue them together with contact cement (because I hate it when a work surface flexes. Then use 1x6 wood to build a rectangular frame, inset 6" from the edge. Use pocket screws to attach the frame to the top. 2x4s cut to length to give you the height you want. Screw through the frame into the legs. Then more 1x6 wood near the bottoms of the legs as stringers to firm them up.

An easier (and lighter) alternative would be to start with a 36" hollow core door. You just need to be more careful about the frame and the legs and how things attach. I've been using one of those for a desk in my office for a long time. There are a few 2x4's flat under it. I used to have two 21" CRT monitors and no sag or signs of flex. The door rests on two stacks of concrete blocks. Pretty sturdy, given the 10 minutes of assembly time nearly a decade ago.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #11

I would suggest a solid core door if you use that method. I know I can't GIVE away hc doors because people want to make tables/benches and don't trust hc doors.
Whatever you use, I'd look for folding table legs, just in case you want to move it or store it.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote