Lacqer - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lacqer

I am wanting to finish sold wood doors with lacquer for a basement and was wonder what is the best way to spray lacquer or should I brush them? And is it possible to spray in a basement I heard not but spraying outside in Colorado may be a trick, wind, and cold? Also on a prehung door to do it correct you have to take it apart to stain and finish it?

Advertisement

Last edited by Sftail2; 03-13-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Sftail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #2

Lacqer

It is pretty nasty smelling and if you spray it you get a lot of misting that you need to account for. I would set a fan blowing out a window if you're going to do it inside. My cousin works at a cabinet shop and I've helped him spray lacquer before. You can get a simple tank and spray gun at a hardware store. Its a plastic tank with a hand pump and the sprayer should be one with a nozzle that sprays a thin wide line not in all directions like the fertilizer/herbicide nozzles.

Just make sure when you start to spray that you point it off the edge of the wood and not directly on it right away or you will get a thick pool on the edge. So start the sprayer off to the side then sweep in a even motion all the way across and let off the trigger when you spray past the opposite edge and not right on the edge.

Advertisement

ngyoung82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Lacqer

Are we talking interior "man" doors or cabinet?
If you have no experience with lacquer you are heading into trouble.
Laq is RAPID drying NO BRUSHING, you cant work fast enuf. HVLP spray is what you need. Also why Laq? If it is a clear,hard tuff finish you want , use waterbased Poly, way easier to use, hard as Hell and much much better that laq. Laq is a FURNITURE finish more than a wear finish
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #4

Lacqer

Interior door, solid core wood. Lacquer dries faster so I can spray them outside and move them in so they don't have to sit outside very long and take a chase on something getting on them while they dry. Can I spray water base poly in a basement? I would rather spay in the basement just because I don't want to have to wait for the weather to warm up? They are solid door so kind of heavy to be moving around a lot?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Lacqer

are you things about using cans ??
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #6

Lacqer

No.....I have a spray gun! Wanting to spray 6 doors, 300 feet of trim and 200 feet of casing.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Lacqer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sftail2 View Post
No.....I have a spray gun! Wanting to spray 6 doors, 300 feet of trim and 200 feet of casing.
well,, all i know is sand,,sealer,,sand,,, and spray,,,,,,,,cans ,,,,so i'm lurkin'
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

Lacqer

if you've never used before, i think you are better off brushing than spraying

even brushing, it dries pretty fast, just make sure you getting laquer that's meant to be brushed. the stuff that's meant to be sprayed dries way to fast to be applied by brush.
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #9

Lacqer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Laq is RAPID drying NO BRUSHING, you cant work fast enuf. HVLP spray is what you need. Also why Laq? If it is a clear,hard tuff finish you want , use waterbased Poly, way easier to use, hard as Hell and much much better that laq. Laq is a FURNITURE finish more than a wear finish

Skymaster is right on the money......................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Lacqer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Skymaster is right on the money......................
Amen!! Laquer dries way too fast to brush. It'll never level out and you'll see every brush mark. Unless it is water based laquer, please don't even think about spraying it in your house. You'll be flirting with a bomb. Laquer is nice for furniture, but it's hard and chips/scratches easily. Not the kind of qualities you want on a door. Poly would be a better choice, I think.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #11

Lacqer

So is it safe to spray poly in a house or is it still not safe?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
Custom Cabinet Maker

Lacqer

SAFER not 100% safe. just make sure you isolate the area you are going to use. If at all possible ventilate to the outside and YOU wear a respirator :}
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lacqer

Laquer will ignite and burn. Water based poly, not so much. As stated before, lacquer is not the finish you want on those doors.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #14

Lacqer

Yeah make sure you wear a mask. Where my cousins spray room is everything is coated with lacquer mist. His shoes that he wears are a nice powdery white. So you can imagine what your lungs would go through if you don't wear a mask. I wore just a paper mask and I still coughed from the fumes. Get a respirator mask if you have a lot to do. You better practice on some scrap wood first to get your technique down.
ngyoung82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #15

Lacqer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Hi, I am a Wood Finisher and if your anything less than a pro I would not use Laquer...use Poly!

Advertisement

tinamarie is offline   Reply With Quote